What are they????

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by sarahjanelutz, Aug 16, 2012.

1. sarahjanelutz

sarahjanelutz New Member

I was quietly picking the last of my blueberries when I observed two of my chickens giving each the stink eye, holding very still and then all of a sudden both their neck feathers burst out and it was obvious that they were about to attack each other. So I did the only thing any chicken farmer would do, I threw blueberries at them. Alas it appears that "Sarah Jessica Parker" my feather footed hen, named for Carrie Bradshaw's lovely feather shoes in Sex and the City should have been named "Big." Damn.

My chickens are 14 weeks old. Other than this behavior I am just not sure. The two in question are very different breeds (Leg Horn and Bard) and the Leg horn is much bigger.

Any suggestions to make a final confirmation?

2. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso

That's completely natural behavior. It's how they establish their pecking order. As long as they're not injuring each other, let them play out their scuffles.

3. sarahjanelutz

sarahjanelutz New Member

Do hens do this as well?

4. jjwilson72000

jjwilson72000 New Member

Yes, one will back down after a scuffle or a few pecks.

5. Homegirl

Homegirl New Member

In my experience, hens do have pecking order scuffles, but when it is the "head down, neck feathers out", you may have two males. My girls just gave each other a peck here and there. Watch for thin, long saddle feathers, curled tail feathers and long neck feathers.

6. CountryMama

CountryMama Junior Member

Agreed. My boys do this with each other and my girls do this with each other as well. I just let them do what they need to do. Even when my boys are rolling around in a flurry of feathers, I let them play it out (unless it appears someone might really get hurt, which has never happened). This is how they establish their "pecking order" and it works well for them.