Guineafowl What Are They Good For?

Discussion in 'Gamebirds' started by BaldTC, Sep 29, 2012.

1. BaldTC

BaldTC New Member

I know they eat all sorts of bugs, but can you eat the eggs? I mean other than hobby and pest control what can you do with them?

2. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Yes, you can eat the eggs and also the bird ...

Around here most folks raise them for resale, I can get three times the money for a guinea than chicken. ;)

Free range is best but they will also do "alright" as a caged bird.

3. Keith

Keith New Member

They are GREAT for pest control as well as not ruining your garden and plants.

You can eat their eggs, you can eat them and they help keep predators away from the chickens or at the least will alert you to intruders.

Great birds!

4. CrazyBirdLady

CrazyBirdLady Junior Member

I have Guineas and I love them! They live outside, eat all the ticks and Japanese beetles. My 2 hens were just slaughtered by a fox (I think) and I hatched 12 of their eggs in the incubator. They're 2 weeks old and I gave all but 4 away. You can eat the eggs, they nest outside and when I found the nest there were 20 plus eggs in it. The crows got to them before I did :(.

5. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Spill the secert of keeping them out of your garden ... They trashed my garden and did a number on the neighbors garden down the road. (One of the reason I had to sell mine ...)

6. castillofa

castillofa New Member

They are great to have around. Mine are just plain fun to watch. Mine were day olds that I put in with a pair of ducks. Now the guineas think they're ducks or the other way around. We have harvested some and the kids love it. Fried them like chicken. They are definitely alarm sounders. I plan to build a tractor for them for garden work.

7. CrazyBirdLady

Wow, they walk thru my garden and pick the bugs off the plants. My neighbor has a garden size of football field and he loves my guineas. No cabbage worms, no tomato worms, no damage to plants. They go in my flower beds too with no damage. They only eat bugs and grain...nothing else.

8. BaldTC

BaldTC New Member

Are the eggs good and do the birds taste good? Will my neighbors hate me if I get them, do they roost and do they need a nest box to lay? I know nothing lol

9. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Yes, the eggs are good and the meat has a "wild game taste" ... My neighbors were not happy with me or them over the garden. (I have 40 acres) They do roost and if free range that would be in the tallest tree in the area. Nest box ... nope ... Not even when I had them in the coop.

They are great birds ... I agree ... but unlike the others I couldn't keep them out of my garden, where they did a number.

10. CrazyBirdLady

Mine roost in the maple tree just outside my bedroom window. Never once did they go in the nesting box. They nest on the ground under thick brush. The eggs are small but good. I've never eaten the bird (love them too much). They only go in the coop to eat, even in bad weather. They are funny to watch, altho do not like to be touched. I will always have guineas on my 40 acres. Plus side is my neighbors love them too.

11. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

You did better than I did ... I couldn't get mine to go into their coop even for food. But mine could clean up under the horses and cows feed buckets.

12. CrazyBirdLady

If I go near the coop when they're inside they go running out, they are true free range. Every nite after dinner I sit at the entrance to our barn and sprinkle grain all around me. If I'm running late they are there squawking impatiently! They are too funny.

13. chkntrktr

chkntrktr New Member

We have one male left over from our first bunch and he comes up to the house just before roost time usually and squawks something awful if I haven't left him some grain on the ground. He runs every where he goes, also. They are funny.

14. CrazyBirdLady

They are a riot, I have two males and I love them to pieces, they follow me all around. I just put a ladder in the coop up to the top window and hubby built a perch, they come and go to eat but still roost in the maple tree outside my bedroom window no matter what the weather! Give them a mansion with easy access and they pick the tree!

15. Willy

Willy Junior Member

What are guineas good for? Comedy relief.

16. chkntrktr

chkntrktr New Member

To summarize: eating bugs, warning devices, and yes, comic relief.

17. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

We have 9 guinea hens and they are LOUD! Haven't seen them lay any eggs but always know where they are. They free range during the day and then go in their caged in kennel at night.
    Would like to touch one but like you posted they won't have it!

18. queqid

queqid 40+yrs of Indiana Poultry

No one has really said in so many words: THEY MAKE A TERRIBLE RACKET, aka: they are great watch dogs. Your neighbors will hate the noise.

19. shickenchit

shickenchit New Member

They are great to eat, birds and eggs..

20. Jeremysbrinkman

Jeremysbrinkman New Member

Maw maw always used them in her gumbo instead of chicken. No one has ever made a better gumbo than her.