What age?

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by Buttsmom, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Buttsmom

Buttsmom New Member

At what age do chickens start slowing down laying eggs? Does it differ in different breeds? I'm looking at Rhode Island Reds and Black Marans and the guy said they are 3-4 yrs young.

2. patlet

patlet New Member

Our Rhodies lay for a solid two years before slacking off. But ours lay through the winter. You should get four years of laying. However, nutrition and care play a huge role! How are they laying now? On what feed? When was their last molt? The are the questions you ask the previous owner.

3. Buttsmom

Buttsmom New Member

Thanks I will email them now.

4. Buttsmom

Buttsmom New Member

Here's the answer to my questions I asked: They're egg production is just now slowing down significantly. I feed them basic crumbles from a feed store nearby, and they also get left over organic "veggies" from our csa crops. They are in molt as we speak.

5. kimberley

kimberley New Member

i doubt they will be doing much more laying.

6. bouie55

bouie55 New Member

How can I stop my chickens from eating their own eggs

7. patlet

patlet New Member

Collect them more often. Once hens start, they won't stop. Eggs are just too tasty.

8. patlet

patlet New Member

So don't expect much is what he's telling you. Free access to oyster shells and maybe boosting their regular crumbles to a higher protein "egg-maker" crumble will increase your chances of getting eggs. The won't produce much, if anything, until after they molt, but it's never too early to boost nutrition. It's great that they've been getting fresh veggies, and organic to boot! Hope you can keep that going cuz that's the best kind of feed for good nutrition especially with a high quality crumble. Good luck and happy chickening!

9. Buttsmom

Buttsmom New Member

Thanks for the input, I did decide to pass on them though. Instead we are going to get some pullets so we are at the beginning of egg laying instead of the end.