We do not have a coop....

Discussion in 'Coops, Runs and Housing' started by tnfarmgirl, Jun 20, 2012.

1. tnfarmgirl

tnfarmgirl New Member

Our chicken run free all day....right before dark they go into a stall in the barn that has their roosting bars and laying boxes,..the follow me in when they see I have feed, they have water in the stall too.. we let them out again the next morning..... I put straw down in the stall and clean it our about twice a month...it all goes into the compost pile...

We have lost a few to critters but there is goat and donkey that share the barn yard with them, I think they scare off some of the critters who love to eat chickens...and they get long fine with our lab, corgi and cats.....

2. Keith

Keith New Member

How far do your chickens roam?

3. tnfarmgirl

tnfarmgirl New Member

I have no idea really...they stay in a small lot behind the barn mostly but willl come up to the house when I throw out scraps.............

4. tnfarmgirl

tnfarmgirl New Member

I just looked ,a few are walking around the driveway...some are in the garden area and the rest I cant see...I guess the stay in a few acres area

5. piglett

piglett Senior Member

mine stay in an area that's about 125 feet square
    lots of tall grass for them to eat & bugs & worms to find

piglett

6. Apyl

Apyl New Member

You may not have a "coop" but your stall is your coop, its just not built seprate from your barn. I free range from sun up to about 9:30 pm , I go past dark since the ducks are not usually ready to go in when the chickens do. Mine go in on their own, so when I go out to lock up its just the ducks left that meander in the coop when they see me.