Washing hens ?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Diizzybear, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Diizzybear

Diizzybear New Member

There has been a lot of rain in northeast UK in the last couple of weeks which has left my hens really muddy whats the best way of cleaning them with out upsetting them ? If this is a stupid question plz let me know lol

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Never a stupid question. I have bathed a few of my hens. I just fill up a bin of warm sudsy water or put them in the laundry tub. Wash them with baby shampoo or pet shampoo, wrap them up in a towel and dry them off a bit. I make sure they are in a good warm place to finish drying though. No cold air drafts. I thought they would shred me for giving them a bath but Chloe actually fell asleep on me!

3. rob

rob New Member

same here. my silkie loves a bath. i use warm water and baby shampoo. pat down with towel them a warm hairdryer. (make sure its warm not hot)

4. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

I agree! I have 3 Silkies and I have bathed them too. They don't mind. When my Peking ducks were small I let them swim in the bath tub!

5. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

6. Diizzybear

Diizzybear New Member

Thanks guys going to bath them tomorow see how it goes

7. rob

rob New Member

let us know how it go's :) im sure they will love it.

8. Diizzybear

Diizzybear New Member

They loved it took along time washing them all but was worth it thanks again guys :D

9. jewelreja

jewelreja New Member

Cooking whole chickens wash them before the people for themselves and their families to increase the risk of food poisoning, paharadara consumer alert today.
    Approximately three quarters of consumers who buy whole chickens wash them, potentially spreading bacteria on surfaces for up to a 3ft radius work, research by Which? Not publish.
    Food Standards Agency (read) from the most recent statistics show that raw shop-bought chicken campylobacter 65%, the most common food poisoning symptoms of diarrhea and stomach interfere with the scheduled contaminated with the UK.
    Although cooking chicken properly will kill the bug, it's food poisoning more than 300,000 cases and 15,000 hospitalizations a year in England and Wales are responsible for.
    However, a survey by Which? Salmonella food poisoning was found that 56% think the biggest reason with only 2% campylobacter named.
    Reading is currently investigating ways to reduce the levels of infection across the production chain.</span>

10. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Exactly.....

11. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Glad bath time went well Diizzybear. Who'd have thought chickens would like a bath hey. :D