Trapping a raccoon

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by ThreeJ, Aug 1, 2012.

1. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

Anybody have a good bait to catch a raccoon , I already have a livetrap. Somebody has to have a surefire way. Thanks for any advice in advance.

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Red Man Chewing tobacco. My DH swears by it. I've also heard of using peanut butter.

3. rob

rob New Member

i have used peanut butter to catch rodents in the past

4. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

The cheapest can of cat food you can buy or sardines ... best of luck.

5. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

Peanut butter it is, the trap is set. I allready had peanut butter on hand. If I dont see results in a few days Ill try and catch my cat.:eek:

6. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Yes, that is the only problem that comes with using the cat food or sardines ... Is there a way to keep the cat up over night?

7. Keith

Keith New Member

I run into this same problem myself. We have 5 cats plus another couple neighbors we feed. All outdoors. Any live trap we put out, nets a cat.

8. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

The cat showed up about a month ago, it looks like it adopted us. It lets us feed her. The kids can pet her but is still not sure of me yet.

9. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I know this sounds nuts but tell the cat what you need to have happen. You'd be surprised how often you can get them to be a cooperative team member. I know it sounds nuts but it works for me all the time.

10. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Lets try this then ...

Lock the chickens in the coop and put the trap in the run. (Sorry, I can't remember if you free range or have a run. :eek:)

Just a thought ...

11. Riverdale

Riverdale New Member

Marshmellows. Really and truely.

Coons have a sweet tooth and marshmellows will not attract any thing else (like catfood and sardines will).

12. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

The bad news is I have caught nothing.
    The good new is I have not lost any more chickens.
    Time is step up to marshmellows. Thanks for the tips.

13. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I can't wait to hear what happens. Better than a mystery novel. Lol

14. Apyl

Apyl New Member

So any luck yet?

ETA : lol sorry I didnt see you already posted lol

15. seiuchin

seiuchin seiuchin

What will you do with the raccoons once you trap them? I read that back in the old days they used to feed chickens cooked raccoon!

16. Riverdale

Riverdale New Member

Sometimes it is good to 'turn the tables' ;)

17. waterwelldude

waterwelldude New Member

I use vienna sausages, there cheap and work pretty good.

18. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

I don't know If I will eat it or not, have to suprise the wife with that one.That may not go over well. I still have not trapped a raccoon yet, but I have caught a chicken. They like marshmellows too.:D

19. TheGarryFarm

TheGarryFarm New Member

Whatever you do, don't do what my husband did years ago to me. He said he wanted a "daniel boone" hat..... Okay at that time we weren't having coon attacks as they are now. So driving back from a friends house he saw a coon on the side of the road. He asked if I would make him a cap of it.... I said sure - never guessing what he would do next!!!!!!! and then he pulled over picked up the deceased coon by his tail. Even with him holding the coon outside of the road and me holding my head out the window on the passenger side of the car on that 1/2 mile ride home. the smell was awful................ The cap never got made! The coon was buried without honors.
    Now please understand that i am a college educated person, who used to have an administrative job and am adventurous on many things. I have eaten snake - actually very good, but I think a coon would be a challenge to eat. Although many folks in the south used to eat sweet taters and Coon............Is this a true story.....hahaha yes....

20. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

It is very true ... :D (and not bad eatens ;))