Thinking Of Getting New Chicks To Join The Rest..

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by BarredRock123, Jul 7, 2012.

1. BarredRock123

BarredRock123 New Member

Hi... I'm thinking of getting about getting 2 more chickens to join the rest of my flock... Suggestions?
    All of the birds in my flock are 2 1/2 months old, will they accept having new members or will they peck each other to death?
    I currently don't have too much time on my hands, so it'll be hard for me to introduce them to each other..

-Thank You!

2. Jennibobs

Jennibobs New Member

I recently added a couple, I had 3 to start and now have 5, the new girls do get a bit of a hard time but nothing too viscous. I did have them segregated to start so they could see each other, but couldn't get at each other. After a few weeks I just put them all together. I was most worried about them being all confined together at night, but that doesn't seem to be problem.

3. cindy

cindy New Member

yep thats what I do. I keep the new ones in a pen where my ladies can see
    them everyday then after a couple weeks I let the new chicks free, they quickly
    establish their pecking order without anyone getting hurt.

4. BarredRock123

BarredRock123 New Member

Umm okay, I am now deciding to get ducklings instead of new chicks. Now they are about 2-4 weeks old, but they're as big as a 2 month old chicken. I know the ducklings are going to be larger than the other birds, but for now, they're the same size. Would I use the same technique when introducing them?
    -Thanks

5. grow_your_brew

grow_your_brew I sell chicken aprons!

From my experience, it works for ducklings too. They don't seem to get as picked on as new chickens but when I introduced ducklings, they did get attacked. Now, the chickens and ducks pretty much do their own thing. Remember to make sure you have a water container with clean water that's deep enough for the duck to dip its head into everyday. Ducks need to wash out their nostrils that way. Otherwise, they will get sick. If you don't have space for a kid's pool, a 3-5 gal food bucket works just fine. You can get them for free at the grocery store bakery (they use it to store frosting and throw out the containers) or Subway's mayo buckets (you have to wash them out yourself of course, and I warn you- that frosting scares the life out of me!)
    Otherwise, Walmart sells them new for about $1.50 (prices may vary). That's about the cheapest I've seen them.

6. jmc0319

jmc0319 New Member

Does anyone have any experience with runner ducks? If so please share. They seem very interesting to me.