The Thanksgiving Massacre of 2012......a long & tedious post

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by Pookadoodis, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Pookadoodis

Pookadoodis Menopausal Cajun/Irish Woman of Substance

Well, a dog happened to my flock...it dug under the daytime pen & wiped out all but one of my pullets. Just for fun. Sick doesn't begin to describe how I feel.

Only Sugar, a 10 week old(approx.) Barred Rock, remains.

You could tell she was distraught & lonely. She was very noisey, she would call out alot & just sit around.....I felt I needed to find her a distraction. I tried to find a few more younger pullets. No luck. I looked everywhere, found tons of young roos & ducks for sale but that's it.

So, my son's friend gave us 2 of her Spring2012 Naked Neck hens to keep her company. The NNs are already laying, tho they haven't produced an egg since they got here.
    They are huge compared to Sugar! Twice her size. I'm not a big fan of the breed but......clearly, beggars can't be choosers this time of year.

Sugar is SO happy! The NNs not so much. I keep them all separated b/c the two NNs wanted to be stay together constantly. They can all see each other & interact thru the wire, occasionally the NNs peck at Sugar & scare the heck out of her. But you can tell she loves having them there.
    I purposely picked the two smallest NNs from the friend's flock of ten....she had 9 hens & one freakin' enormous roo......her flock is a battle hardened lot of free~rangers who would eat all the farm cat's kibble. When I first got them, the NNs crops were the size of croquet balls & just as hard....full of cat food.
    Not surprising, their poop smells like used salmon & tuna. Yuck!
    Hopefully that smell will go away.......now they are eating the starter crumble I have.....what should I supplement them with???

As far as I know Sugar is not a bantam size. But if she is, could she have problems with these big girls when she's fully grown?

I plan on keeping them apart for at least a week or so & watch them closely when they get together.

I'm thinking I should keep looking for another friend or two just to mix up the atmosphere so Sugar doesn't get singled out by the NNs when they do finaly get together. Any opinions about this???

Maybe I should have just gotten a duck...............

...I have them in hutch style coops at night & sectioned wire areas with straw & leaves to scratch in during the day.....this is all INSIDE a detatched garage.

I don't know that I will ever let these birds go outside again after the dog incident.

2. CharlieEcho

CharlieEcho Junior Member

Sorry;

Sorry to hear of your loss. Dogs can be a problem. We've learned over the years about fencing, but nothing is fool proof. Last winter we had a mink get our flock. We'd grown lax in securing our hen house door.

When we'd replaced our flock, we had chicks in the basement at the time, the young birds could get outside the fence and were subject to dog attack. That's another reason I like larger breeds. They can't squeeze through the fence as easy.

I hope you will get another or a few more birds. Then work on that pen.
    Good luck.

Attached Files:

3. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Sorry to hear about your loss.
    Every naked neck I have had has been a bit bossy. I think it's the breed. They can be sweet with their humans, but bossy to other birds.

To try and answer a few of your questions:

As far as I know Sugar is not a bantam size. But if she is, could she have problems with these big girls when she's fully grown?
    By sheer size, yes the NNs could hurt your Sugar in a fight, but just because she's small doesn't mean she wouldn't get to be queen bee of the coop. I've had a silkie that ruled the roost (pardon the pun) in a coop full of much larger birds.

I plan on keeping them apart for at least a week or so & watch them closely when they get together.
    That's for the best, even longer if necessary. Then you just keep a close eye on them for a few days. If problems, back to seperation.

I'm thinking I should keep looking for another friend or two just to mix up the atmosphere so Sugar doesn't get singled out by the NNs when they do finaly get together. Any opinions about this???
    Good idea.

Maybe I should have just gotten a duck...............
    Ducks are wonderful, geese are fantastic, but they are water creatures and don't mind living in wet messy conditions. Chickens aren't designed to live in those conditions. ;)

...I have them in hutch style coops at night & sectioned wire areas with straw & leaves to scratch in during the day.....this is all INSIDE a detatched garage.

I don't know that I will ever let these birds go outside again after the dog incident.
    It takes awhile for the birds and you to get over the trauma after an attack. My chickens free ranged for four years before I had losses. Now they are penned during the day and free range under supervision for a couple of hours in the evening. My geese and ducks still free range.; but inside a fenced yard and nothing much messes with adult geese.

You stated that you have the NNs on starter crumble. If they are laying, they need a good quality layer feed; preferably with some crushed oyster shell on the side for good strong eggshells and so the hens don't have to raid their own bodies stores of calcium to make those eggshells. Since Sugar is still young and I'm assuming still needs a starter/grower type feed, you can look for a flockraiser type feed that everyone can eat; from the youngest chick to the oldest bird. Again, oyster shell on the side for the laying hens.
    Another thing about starter - if it is the medicated kind, there's a chance that residual amounts of the medication (the coccidistat), amprolium, would be in any eggs laid. Not a problem for most people, but can be a problem with an allergy to sulphur drugs.

4. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Well done Bird_Slave. I was going to give some input but you said it all. Poor Sugar. Chickens are so sociable. Definitely keep looking for a younger buddy for her. Sometimes you'll come across the perfect fit when and where you least expect it. I'm so sorry for what you and Sugar went through. That's just horrific!

5. Pookadoodis

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you....for the replies, condolences & priceless information!!!

The NNs have mellowed a little bit. From what I've witnessed they ARE bossy even separated.......Peach(the boss) dominates Sweetie(which she ain't!)......Sweetie lords over Sugar. Peach ignores Sugar. But Sugar adores them anyway. As long as she's happy!
    Sugar flaps her wings, Sweetie makes herself big & will walk over to give her the stink eye. Sugar moves away.........but she isn't as scared any more.
    Time & patience.

I'm going to the feed store Friday (pay day!) for new feed & supplies.

A few updates: After much Googling, I think Sugar is a Cuckoo Maran & not a BR, her legs are gray & her feather pattern is way different than BRs........ & Peach has scaly mites on her legs. {Sigh!}
    I actually had a bottle of Dr. McLean's Volcanic Oil(turpentine oil) under the sink.......they're all getting their legs painted with it daily. Needless to say, they aren't loving me right now.

And........NNs are not Turkey/Chicken Hybrids......yes, I am that gullible.........TG for Google!
    ...........learning curve///////

6. Pookadoodis

The girls are getting more relaxed with each day.
    [​IMG]
    Here is my son holding Sweetie, on of the naked necks. They're very docile when held which is great b/c I like to cuddle!

7. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Very pretty :)

8. adorson

adorson New Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

Those turkens will grow on you! :) I love my turkens! I have my turken girls in with my silkies and bantam salmon favorelles and they do fine with the other hens but they do boss the boys around. They really do not take any crap off of the roosters! LOL
    Your turken girl is gorgeous!

9. Pookadoodis

Thank you bird_slave & adorson! So exciting......the NNs have given me two eggs in the last 24 hours!
    Everyone is doing good.