storage of eggs waiting for incubator

Discussion in 'Incubation & Hatching' started by tegaily, Jan 8, 2013.

1. tegaily

tegaily New Member

I'm just a newbie, so sorry for this question, but where do you keep fertilized eggs until you get enough to put into incubator and for how long?

Lynn

2. Jeremysbrinkman

Jeremysbrinkman New Member

Fertile eggs are only good for about 10 days. Keep them somewhere the tempeture does no fluctuate. In the 50-65 degree range

3. MommaHen72

MommaHen72 MommaHen72

tegaily I have the same question. 40s outside. 70s inside. The only thing I could think of was ziploc bags in water but there has to be a better way. ???

4. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

Personally, I keep mine in egg cartons on my unfinished basement floor (about 55F)....if i intend to keep them longer than 7 days i make sure and turn them everyday! By turning them and keeping them in a cool place you can keep them for 2 or more weeks but your hatch rate drops significantly after 14 days....i've had 50% hatches after keeping eggs as long as 30 days.

Some folks keep hatching eggs in a refrigerated wine cooler that can be adjusted to 40-45F, if I had one laying around I'd consider it as a viable option! NEVER put them in a normal refrigerator unless you know it's temp can be adjusted about 40F....research has shown eggs exposed to cold temps are not likely to hatch.

5. LICHICK28

LICHICK28 New Member

I keep mine in a cool room 50-60 * in a egg carton pointy side down. I tilt the carton from one side to other just a tiny bit every day until enough eggs are saved. I dont go over saving more than 9 days

6. twentynine

twentynine New Member

I keep mine in my shop with AC/heat set at 65* sitting on a spare egg turner.

7. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

And absolutely do not wash them!!!! :D

8. kitz

kitz New Member

after storing these eggs for lets say a week then put in the bator will they all hatch around the same time?

9. kitz

kitz New Member

oh yeah how long does it take to hatch

10. eqstrnathlete

eqstrnathlete New Member

I keep mine in my bedroom, which is about 69*. I have kept them as long as 30 days and had an 80% hatch rate. It takes 21 days for chickens to hatch. They will usually pip the air sack around day 19-20.

11. SilkieBoy

SilkieBoy New Member

So can I safely store silkie eggs for the first egg it eill12 days old when I put it into the incubator !! I am turning then several times a day and I am keep them cool!

12. SilkieBoy

SilkieBoy New Member

Bump? How long can silkie eggs be stores for? 1 week or 2 weeks?

13. chas84

chas84 New Member

Best to store eggs for no longer than a week, if you keep them at 15 to 20 degrees celsius you could got for two weeks, but mark the eggs with a pencil and monitor if the older ones hatch or not.