Stop laying

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by Pinkter, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Pinkter

Pinkter Member

I have a hen that is probably about 2 & 1/2 years old. She's not laying anymore. Is this average age to stop laying or is something wrong?

2. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Is it time for her yearly molt? She could also be on her yearly winter break. You don't mention breed but no, I don't consider 2 1/2 to be an average age for a hen to stop laying for good; except for maybe in some of the high production breeds like sex links.

3. Pinkter

Pinkter Member

Actually she is a sex link. Is that it then? I didn't know that about the breed.

4. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Sex links tend to burn out early, or I should say earlier than the heritage breeds. I seriously doubt she's quit for good, as in finished, the end. She's likely on her winter break (or getting ready to start a molt) and will resume laying as the number of daylight hours starts to increase again; just at a reduced rate.

5. Pinkter

Pinkter Member

One more question that may be clueless. Can a hen be in molt stage but not loose feathers?

6. kaax

kaax Junior Member

Yes, sometimes molting is not very obvious. I've only once had a hen molt hard. I usually get a slower lose a few, grow a few feathers. And little slow down in laying.
    I kind of thought it was related to the milder climate I live in. I've also read it can be associated with adding supplemental light.

Kaax

7. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

I have one hen, a brahma that will be 5 years old in April, that molts so lightly it's not really noticable. The other weird part about "Bella" is that she doesn't completely stop laying when she's molting, never has. She just completed what little molting she does and is now back to giving me 2, sometimes 3 eggs a week. Big strong girl is Bella.