Starting on Saturday September 1st

Discussion in 'Incubation & Hatching' started by twentynine, Aug 31, 2012.

1. twentynine

twentynine New Member

Title says it all.

Starting 80 black sexlink and rhode island red eggs.

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Gooood Luck! That's a lot of eggs!

3. rob

rob New Member

good luck, keep us updated on how its going.

4. twentynine

twentynine New Member

Okay, power was restored to my home and property on Thursday afternoon. I emmidiately put the incubator on. Checked the temp this morning 99.5, this afternoon 99.8. So when I get home from work tomorrow morning, in they go. I have two auto turner that hold 41 eggs each, that's what I am going to load. 41 black sexlink, 41 rhode island reds.

5. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Whew! That'll keep ya busy! ;) Good luck! We'll be waiting for pics of those darling little hatchlings when they arrive. :D

6. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Yes we will. Are you keeping them all?

7. twentynine

twentynine New Member

Okay 82 eggs in the incubator at 0530. Checked the temp this afternoon before leaving for work, currently 99.5*, todays low 99.1*, high 99.5*.

The auto turners have the eggs rotating. This is a first for me, I always incubated in the cartons and put the eggs on the wire on the 18th day.

Keeping them all?
    No, I will be keeping a few of the rhode island red pullets. But by and large I will be selling most of the hatch. The black sexlink pullets are spoken for already, as are some of the rhode island red straight run. The remaining black sexlink cockerals will be kept 3 or 4 weeks then sold as fryers. The remaining rhode island reds will be kept to about 4 weeks, when they reach an age that I can sex them with confidence, then they go for $5 each as started pullets, $3 each as fryer cockerals.
    I do have a very good blood line of rhode island reds, so I do sell some of my cockerals as flock roosters. These I allow to go to about 12 weeks, at that time I can make a fair judgement of what the rooster will look like. If at that time they don't shape up the right way, they go to camp Kenmore.

Allow me to stress that I do not sell the first chick until I am absolutely convinced they are healthy and sound. I usually keep them for 1 week to 10 days, so I can get them started. Also, any one who shows up wanting to buy my birds has to pass my inspection. I have turned away a few buyers that I suspected, because they wanted all my older cockerals. I'm sure you guys understand what I am hinting at.

Concerning the 82 eggs, I believe my hatch rate is going to be a much lower percentage than I have experienced in the past. It is my belief that one of my big RIR roosters is shooting blanks. I'll know in 10 days, when I do the first candling. If it turns out that way I may only get about a 50% hatch rate. Then add hurricane isaac into the mix, well I may have to many factors working against me.

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Will you ship? Will you ship to me in NJ ? Or is that too far away?

9. twentynine

twentynine New Member

No I don't ship. Local demand exceeds what I can supply.

10. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Okay. Just thought I'd ask. Your birds sound very good quality and that's why I was interested. Good luck with your adventure in hatching. :)

11. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

Put my Sept hatch off a few days since we are having storms passing thru...hatching a few dozen Buckeyes and American Games for some friends!!! Happy Hatching everyone....keep us posted with your results!!!

12. twentynine

twentynine New Member

I am very proud of my sexlinks.

The rhode island red bloodline I located here locally, medium to light birds, that lay a nice dark brown large egg, starting at about 5 months. I consider these birds to be top knotch.

The barred rocks are a little heavier, laying a large light brown egg, usually in the 5th month. In terms of comparrison I believe the rhode islands are a step a head of the barred rocks. Been casually looking around for a barred rock rooster I could call the grand poobah doodah.

Lots of barred rocks out there, it just takes a long time to breed - hatch barred hens - grow hens - breed to rhode island rooster - hatch sexlinks - grow out chicks. Then judge at that time if your efforts, meet the goals.

I don't know anything about proper confirmation or breed standards, what I have tried to achieve is a healthy, hardy bird. So far the sexlinks seem to be doing pretty good.

It's not that I am trying to hoard my birds or even make a killing off of them. Any one who raises chickens can run the numbers I put out their, and it's plain to see-- at best I am breaking even. My wife says either you do it as a hobby and enjoy it, or you grow large and it becomes a job. I prefer to enjoy it.

13. twentynine

twentynine New Member

Day 2

Turners are turning, temp control is good.

First time I ever used auto turners, feel like I'm not doing enough! Why didn't I get auto turners sooner?

14. twentynine

twentynine New Member

Day 5

Alls well. Temperature control is right on. Will be doing first candling either Saturday 8th or Monday 10th.

15. TajMaCluckCoop

TajMaCluckCoop Not so Junior-Junior Member

I finally begged eggs from a friend ... Put 38 ssorted chicken eggs in the Hovabator with turner on Monday Sept 2 and 50ish corturnix quail in the still air sans turner on Monday Sept 3. Had a bit of a humidity spike this morning due to rains in CT, but so far so good.,,but it's only Day 3 for me.

16. twentynine

twentynine New Member

Day 6

Couldn't wait, new incubator, new turners, and all, like a kid waiting on Santa Claus.

Pulled 2 Rhode island red eggs as unfertile. Cracked'em open and yep, they are were not developing.

Black sexlinks all looked good.

So we now have 41 black sexlinks and 39 rhode island reds, for a total of 80 still cooking.

17. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Talk about Christmas! That's a holiday for 4 people - 20 chicks each! Wish I was you right now. :). Wow!

18. twentynine

twentynine New Member

Day 12 update.

80 still cooking. Temperature control is working.

19. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Keep on keeping on 29!

20. twentynine

twentynine New Member

Alert alert-- temp spike--- 103*.

I think my fan is going out so the bearings are generating heat, not controlled by the thermostat.

Opened the door to get the air temp down as fast as I could, I don't think the internal temp of the eggs went over 102*. I will have to spend so time tonight re-regulating the thermostat.