Squirrels

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by Rachael, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Rachael

Rachael New Member

I really liked watching the squirrel that lived in my garden but 1 squirrelhas turned into a family of 5 squirrels who have taken over the garden. My chicken run (not the main coop) hasno roof and yesterday I found 3 squirrels sat happily in the run eating the chicken’scorn!

I've sprinkled used cat litter around the coop to deter them from the areaand I have also read that squirrels don't like peppermint.

Does anybody else have problems with squirrels? Do you know if the squirrelwould hurt the chickens? How do you deal with them humanely?

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Personally I would deal with them humanily with 1 bullet. They won't feel a thing ;) But no beside removing the nuisence I don't know of any deterant that will keep them away. As far a I know they will leave the chickens alone but they may bring in mites or fleas.

3. Keith

Keith New Member

You could try trapping them too if you are opposed to killing them.

4. dirtdiva

dirtdiva New Member

We have a two squirrels who managed to find a way to get inside our Fort Knox coop and run. They found a hole where the roof webbing meets the coop. They go inside coop and eat feed. Not happy about it, but they don't bother the chickens. May need to leave hot wire on during day to show them a thing or two. :p They don't come often, so haven't considered them problems.

5. Tony-O

Tony-O New Member

They will cause problems. They will chew larger holes for easy access, and soon coons will follow.

6. Rachael

Rachael New Member

Thanks for the advise. Luckly no coons in the UK. I think I will try the trap and move them on approach. The chickens are good at alerting me that the squirrels are near the coop with their clucks

7. rob

rob New Member

you can get squirrel traps from b and q i believe.

8. Rachael

Rachael New Member

Thanks I shall try and get one this week :)

9. ChickenMansion

ChickenMansion New Member

Just thought i'de say, my name is the same: Rachael (don't meet many with our spelling) :)