Featured Some advice needed....

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jewels, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Jewels

Jewels New Member

Hi, I'm new to this site! I've had hens on a small scale for the last two years now, and really enjoy them. Until yesterday, I was down to two hens, they are kind of regular hens, one is a black \ white speckled hen ( she rarely lays and only started laying last Christmas! ) My other is mainly black with golden undertones and she started laying around the same time, and lays practically every day. I decided to get some hens, and was attracted to what I now believe to be polish hens, and bought two. They are very submissive and my other hens have picked up on this and are making life a bit difficult for them. Pulling head feathers out & not allowing them near the treats that I throw, do those of you with more experience than myself, think that they will settle down and find their pecking order? I'm feeling sorry for my new hens already! I want them to be healthy and happy!

casportpony likes this.
  2. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

Did you do a slow introduction? One where the new girls are up but can be seen and heard by the other two? Chickens are very hierarchical and do not willingly accept newbies in to their flock.

They will/might calm down eventually but you might have to do some fine tuning to get it worked out. You might even have to put the two original birds in time out to see if that will adjust their attitude.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

Hi. I have Polish and regular hens. Polish need a haircut so they can see front and sides. They are calmer that way. You can separate the treats as much as you can along with 2 waters and 2 feeders. It's always good to add the old ones into the newer one's territory. Give and show the Polish how to jump up on something. If all that doesn't work, I don't know what to say except waiting it out.

4. Jewels

Jewels New Member

Thanks for the replies so far- I just released them into the coop so that they could get used to it and would know where to come back to. They didn't come out that day but my layer wanted to lay and was dubious about getting past them. Both my hens were extremely vocal that day, it sounded as though they were laughing at the haircuts of the other two! The other two have not ventured far out of the coop, I think they're trying to be anonymous I am throwing treats and grains in both directions to enable a fair share. At the moment both my Polish can see fine, the pom-poms are not obstructing their vision, but when it does, I will def trim it back, it's only fair.
    I lifted both my polish on to the roost to join my other two last night and will continue to do so, until they get the idea themselves. It's early days as yet, but I do hope they can all settle into the flock- I appreciate there will be a pecking order as I saw this with my first flock.

casportpony likes this.
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

Your Polish should easily go to perch after seeing your other two roosting, kinda like monkey see monkey do/mimicking. Besides, it's instinctive for them to roost for the night. I hope you have a long enough roost for them to perch on. There's even a roosting pecking order.
    If you have multiple roosts, like steps, the birds at the top are your dominant birds.
    If I'm not mistaken, on a single roost, the top hen will perch closest to the warmest side and the hens lowest in the pecking order will perch on the opposite side on a single roost.

6. Jewels

Jewels New Member

Yes, the roost is long enough to accommodate four birds, if not more. I'll check out the score tonight, and will keep putting them up until they get the idea. Thanks for the advice :)

casportpony likes this.
  7. profwirick

profwirick Yaya

Are they drawing blood? I'd say you are doing very well indeed if not. We are getting two or three peeps every couple of years. We separate them side by side then let the out one two acres with lots of hiding places. They figure out their order and it shifts some as the youngsters develop. This one or that will also go on and out of favor with The Rooster, which I have observed to affect pecking/perching order. Enjoy your girls.

seminolewind likes this.
  8. Jewels

Jewels New Member

Thanks for that!
    I tried putting them up on the roost again the other night but observed them get a pecking off by one of the others and that wasn't fair, so yesterday I built them a roost on the opposite side of the coop, lower than the roost opposite. I went in last night and they were huddled in the nesting box, so I put them both on the new roost. Hopefully they'll get the idea soon! I also observed my new girls making their way to the little sand pit where my others were keeping cool in the shade, it was like watching kids in the playground trying to make friends And no, they've not drawn blood, there is plenty of room for them to escape to as well.

casportpony and seminolewind like this.
  9. Maryellen

Maryellen Active Member

It takes time. Some chickens fit right in, and some are lower on the pecking order. I added 3 pullets and the cemani bear up any hen that came near her, so now she gets to roost with the hens she wants and goes anywhere with no problem and she is small. Then I have 1 large hen who acts meek and mild and she is low on the pecking order and is still trying to fit in.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Chicken Forum mobile app

Jewels likes this.
  10. Jewels

Jewels New Member

Ok, just a quick update....
    After repeatedly putting my new girls up on their new roost, a few nights later, they'd done it all by themselves! It doesn't take much to put a smile on my face. My other hens have accepted them, they don't hang out with them, but have accepted them, and that's all that I could ask for!

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Chicken Forum mobile app

11. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

Sometimes what we have to do is let things happen. That's one of those hard things about raising these guys.

Raising Silkies I never really had an issue with introducing new birds. I knew there was a good reason for choosing that breed, I just had to find it. :D

Jewels likes this.
  12. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

Great news!

Jewels likes this.