Silkies

Discussion in 'Breeds & Genetics' started by Apyl, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I noticed alot of people with silkies so thought I would start a Silkie thread. :) Please feel free to share pics, questions, stories, comments, anything related to silkies.

Here are my Silkies, they originated from Ideal Poultry and are currently 5 month 1 week old.

The black one is Black Beauty
    [​IMG]
    The white one is my boy Prince Charming
    The Buff one is Tinkerbell ( and yes the water looks gross but its fresh the ducks dirty it up minutes after changing it)
    [​IMG]
    The next pic is of my 4yo with Rosetta
    [​IMG]

Lastly a pick of my fave partridge Silkie Rosetta

[​IMG]

2. rob

rob New Member

this is my silkie, we are hoping to get another.

Attached Files:

3. TajMaCluckCoop

TajMaCluckCoop Not so Junior-Junior Member

Apyl your daughter is adorable!

4. adorson

adorson New Member

Very cute silkies you guys got there!

Attached Files:

5. Apyl

Apyl New Member

@adorson lol I love the wet face look, ours look like drowned rats when it rains. lol

6. adorson

adorson New Member

LOL.. I couldn't add comments to the post like I had wanted but that is Lucy and she always dives face first into the moistened feed I put out for the crossbeaks! Lucy is quite the character!

7. TheGarryFarm

TheGarryFarm New Member

8. Apyl

Apyl New Member

9. kfsilkie

kfsilkie New Member

these are my silkies

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ07V6EPSo8"]My army of silkies - YouTube[/ame]

I'm worried about the amount of space they have. I have five silkies, do I need to add some space?

10. rob

rob New Member

some lovely silkies there. and a nice run. mine have a 6 foot x 10 ft run but i let the out in the garden when im home.

11. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

That was fun. I could watch chickens all day. So relaxing. And cute little puffs too. Also like the dog and cat. Lol

12. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

I don't have my chickens anymore :(, but here was one of my Silkies. This was Ike, my psychotic Splash.

[​IMG]

13. HappyRoo

HappyRoo New Member

Rocky

This is my Boy Rocky he is very mean.

Attached Files:

14. shortconk

shortconk New Member

hello every one i have 3 silkies
    about 8 weeks old how can i tell if they are male or female

15. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Post some pics and we can take a stab and trying to sex them for you. I go by the shape of the head poof, size and color of the comb, and body stature.

16. TheGarryFarm

TheGarryFarm New Member

You should absolutely add more space for silkies.....Five silkies IS NOT Enough..... I fully intended to stop at 10 hens just for incubating...... Hrmph I'm over 30 now and if it weren't for selling hatching eggs, I'd have 500..... so save some room for some more babies......I'm glad Apryl started this thread..... Now I need to figure how to cut and paste a photo over here.... since I don't use a page just for storing photos any more....

17. jasmin

jasmin New Member

Hi silkie lovers! I have a couple of silkies - one white and one black, Jemima and Matilda. Just a question, all of your photos of your white ones look so CLEAN! Jemima is white and is constantly dirty! They free range all the time and their run is on fresh grass and I move them weekly but she is definitely more cream than crisp white like yours! Do you guys bath your white hens?

18. jasmin

jasmin New Member

Matilda and I in the garden - since Jemima had been siting on eggs I think Matilda has been lonely as she always follows me around!

Attached Files:

19. jasmin

jasmin New Member

As you can see - her little poofy head is always a little off color!

Attached Files:

20. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Very cute! My silkies are house pets, I always get compliments of how clean they are. Lol