Silkies!!

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Mamachickof14, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

Just wondering why alot of you have the Silkies...what do you like about them...I am thinking in the future trying them?? Are they easy keepers? Jen:)

2. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

I have standard size chickens . Went to a fair and that is when I saw my first Silkie. They were so small and fluffy! Found a pair of Silkies off Craigslist for 10 bucks and that's when I fell in love. Now I want more! They are so friendly and easy to pick up and hold . I have noticed a lot of people show them at shows. I just want more to love, I don't show mine.

3. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

image-962809759.jpg

image-3407155295.jpg

4. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

George and Louise was prior post.
    This is Edith, my new young pullet.

image-2112775306.jpg

5. ChookChic

ChookChic New Member

They are just so cute!!! And they have fluffy feet.

6. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

They're beautiful!!! What little fluff balls!

7. rob

rob New Member

mine are purely pets. well its the wife's realy.

8. WindWhipt

WindWhipt WindWhipt

I just got silkies a couple of months ago. They are pets and have been kept inside, living in a large dog crate. They have a pen that they are carried out to each day, then back inside at night. There are around 50 chickens at our place, they vary in age and breed, the Silkies are the sweetest by far. One of the hens likes to be zipped inside my jacket when I am walking around outside. Check this out...... Are the babies not the cutest things you have ever seen!? And Rob.....my husband says the chickens, the Silkies inparticular, are my pets too.......tough guys...uh-huh.....we women all know better!!!!

Attached Files:

9. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

You said WindWhipt! My hubby is by far just as guilty of indulging the girls!!! They have him so wrapped around their little claws. When it gets to be within less than an hour for him to be home, they are at the front of the house waiting. One look (that cute one eyed look they give) and he's there giving them treats. Sucker! ;) This is a few of them waiting ...

Attached Files:

10. muranofarms

muranofarms New Member

Because they look like this! The silkies are my babies, they are just sweet little balls of puff...and the best mommy's ever!
    [​IMG]

11. Italy-Dan

Italy-Dan New Member

In Italy we call these beautiful hens "Moroseta" :)

12. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I love that name - Moroseta. Beautiful! Much better than Silkie. Lol

13. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Beautiful babies muranofarms!!!! Okay, now would everyone quit giving me this baby fever! I gotta quit looking at these posts! :D

14. aussiechicks

aussiechicks New Member

Have to share my experience with them I just adore them!! They are quiet and make perfect mumma hens. They put up with children and are easily caught.

Attached Files:

15. Italy-Dan

Italy-Dan New Member

What beautiful photo! :D

16. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Got 2 new Silkies today! A baby boy we named Archie to be with Edith. We also saw this beautiful Silkie that was multi colored rooster and could not be a show bird that was calling for us!

image-648280372.jpg

image-2429337614.jpg

17. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Nice score there Kaufranc. Well done.

18. rob

rob New Member

i love silkies they great birds with fantastic personalities :)

19. ChickensSayMoo

ChickensSayMoo Junior Member

We have just the one silkie. It is spring here at the moment, & she lays an egg nearly every day. Very cute & entertaining.
    Most of the children who visit, pick her as their favourite chook. She has a weird & very deep voice...I think she was crossed with a muppet! ;) (just joking)
    She does go broody...a LOT! A am considering getting some fertile eggs for her next time she goes broody; as they are suppose to be the best mums! :)

20. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Just got me a week old silkie. Such a spoiled lil one I tell you. She sleeps next to our bed. Will be an indoor pet. I also plan to get her diapers when she gets older. They are just the cutest!! Can't wait till mines gets a lil older. I've yet to name her...

Attached Files: