Silke? Mom

Discussion in 'Breeds & Genetics' started by Treehouse, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Treehouse

Treehouse New Member

I was given a solid black hen and her 3 day old peeps. The roosters on the gifter's farm are huge!!!! Americana guys and HUGE silkie mix. Fabulous birds. My hen, Rosa, is solid black, a great mom. Feathery face and feet. Fits the silkie

image-1784185749.jpg

description . But she is no bantam! Think she's just a West Virginia farm girl?

2. Treehouse

Treehouse New Member

Her peeps look like sparrows! What in the world are they?

image-3826854807.jpg

Anybody have a mix like this? Will they change as they feather out? One has orange feet. Some have feathery feet and others not.

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

She's beautiful Mary!!! Her babies are simply precious!

4. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

She is beautiful!! How many toes does she have??

5. qcupoultry

qcupoultry New Member

She's a mix of some kind and totally adorable! I bet the father to those chicks was an americana. I love chicks with stripes and puffy cheeks. Little chipmunk faces. :)

6. shickenchit

shickenchit New Member

The bitties will change feather wise, but I'm puttin money on them being partridge colored. I've had several chicks hatch out that pattern and always turn to partridge.. Here's one at a couple days old and same at 6 weeks or so. I'll look for another pic and post one at present day, these chicks are now 7-8 months old.

Attached Files:

7. Treehouse

Treehouse New Member

How wonderful! Thank you all so much for the encouragement and info. Toes? Mom must be a mix too. Her feet are feathery but the toe count looks normal. Um ... That's a confession that I haven't persuaded her to let me get my nasty human hands on her. Or babies. She's very vary maternal! I'll try to get a foot picture with all those tiny tootsies under Rosa. Aren't they the most amusing creatures?

8. Treehouse

Treehouse New Member

Great photos! Is "partridge" a colour name?
    Are yours layers? How old when you can distinguish sex?

9. Treehouse

Treehouse New Member

Fuzzy. She let me pick her up today. We went for a little walk and then she hustled back to her brood. I took a good look at several little feet as well as Rosa's and sure enough, lots of them have a splayed rear toe. Is that what is considered a fifth toe? She has feathery cheeks and feet and no colour anywhere but black or dark grey.
    (She looks a little like an ugly crow. Don't tell her I said that. I look a little like an ugly chicken myself.)

image-3213810912.jpg

10. Treehouse

Treehouse New Member

Rosa's chicks are now six weeks, so I'm comparing them to you photos at six weeks. mine are a pretty wild mixture. the black one I call Griffin because he( I think, based on assertiveness) has furry legs (and my name is Griffin).

image-1787884842.jpg

image-306727532.jpg

image-343598823.jpg

image-1048219374.jpg

11. troyer

troyer Junior Member

The hen looks like an americana x silky cross and the chicks look like an americana was bred back over the americana/silky cross. Does it make sense?

12. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Very fluffy. Nice little bunch.

13. SilkieBoy

SilkieBoy New Member

Yup, those birds are pretty adorable! They have some silkie in them, but they are mostly Americana!

14. minmin1258

minmin1258 New Member

Mary u look familiar...where do u live?

15. profwirick

profwirick Yaya

Minmin1258, I live in WV now. I'm a type. All my life people have sworn they knew me or my nonexistent twin. So lets start from scratch, so to speak, and get to "familiar" by forum chats :)

16. minmin1258

minmin1258 New Member

lol, I have bn told all my life that I look familiar so I know what you mean! I didn't mean anything by it at all, I hope I didn't insult you, so sorry if I did. I live in West Union, and holy cow is it cold here tonight!!!! It's after 630p and I'm chilled t th bone inside, I can't get my but in gear t go out n close up th coop. Will go in a couple minutes I guess. Going t throw down more bedding and hay for th girls tonight. Put the rooster in with th girls last night because he was all alone with no other body heat t help warm him up. My girls were NOT happy t have him in their run this morning. Guess I better get out there and get this done before it gets any colder.

17. profwirick

profwirick Yaya

ImageUploadedByChicken Forum1388849447.985956.jpg Rooster Who Shall Remain Nameless, and his hatch mates/sisters? Glad he's such a chicken. We don't have that, "Get him out of here!" problem.
    Down below zero here this morning.
    (no, of course I'm not offended by the face thing. You get it too, huh? I'm just surprised my wrinkles haven't destroyed the stereotyping by now. hee hee)

18. SilkieBoy

SilkieBoy New Member

Great picture of the family!! Are they laying yet?

19. minmin1258

minmin1258 New Member

Pretty birds! Are they silkies? Look like Americaunas. Or EEs. I have a couple EE/arauncanas that resemble yours yours are prettier though.

20. profwirick

profwirick Yaya

yes, eggs. They were hatched Thanksgiving Day, '12; they started laying in early spring. I got an egg a day from each of them all summer, then they cut way back in fall. From six hens I get two or three light blue green eggs daily this winter.