Should i be worried

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by dpappas319, Jul 29, 2012.

1. dpappas319

dpappas319 New Member

Ok. I started my coop 3 weeks ago. With 2 golden buffs within the first week something killed one of them. I added more wire and made sure there was no way for anything to get in. I contacted the farm I got them from and went back and got a rhoad island red the same size as my living buff and he threw in a smaller black and white hen. This was a week ago. This morning I found the small Blake and white one dead. No injurers just laying on the hay The place I got them from had about 1200 birds that are free range that he uses to keep his bee hives free of bugs. Could it be because they were free range and know there are in a coop. I have a big run and a decent size coop. And I wonder we're these birds sick and did they infect the entire coop. My wife can't take anymore death.

2. Dustinph

Dustinph New Member

How old are your chickens and what are you feeding them right now?

3. Apyl

Apyl New Member

We need to know more. What feed, how much, are you adding anything to the water, how old are they, do they has nasal discharge ect. Pics of the coop/enclosure.

4. dpappas319

dpappas319 New Member

They are 14 weeks old. Feeding then pellets from rural kink. On real hot days we were adding a Gatorade like powder for chickens to there water no nasal discharge. I also asked the guy I got them from he said I'm the first to tell him about chickens dieing

5. Tony-O

Tony-O New Member

Sorry about the death. Some just die for no apparent reason. If it was laying in his back, probably a heart attack.

6. Keith

Keith New Member

Were they actively eating/drinking?

7. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Hmmm I thought I responded to you quote but I dont see it. I am wondering if it could have been an impacted crop. I was under the assumption pellets were for 18 weeks and older.

8. rob

rob New Member

mine are under 18 weeks and have been on grower pellets for 2 weeks.

9. vickiw

vickiw New Member

you said these were "free range". Did the owner feed pellets? Or supplement at all? Sometimes free range is more like "ferrel". If he didn't supplement feed with pellets, you could literally be killing them with kindness. (refer to Apyl post)

10. Dustinph

Dustinph New Member

Nothing wrong with pellets. It's just a texture. For 18 weeks bent n grow is fine. Actually you can switch to grow pellet at 8 weeks with no harmful affects seeing as there is actually less protein. When it comes to food the most common mistake is giving too much protein. Too much protein causes deformity do to pre-maturing of the chicken

11. Dustinph

Dustinph New Member

Pellet grow* sorry for typo

12. 2rain

2rain New Member

Do they innoculate?