Rooster Questions

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by BootedBantam, Aug 31, 2012.

1. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

If you read my introductory, you can see the rooster chose me. I never liked anything with a beak to come close to me, but this rooster has made me love him. He came to me all beat up and missing a lot of feathers. His personality is friendly. He greets me at the front door every morning, loves sitting and having coffee with me in the morning, and following me around when I am gardening. He nests on up my front porch in a corner, but has free roam of fenced in front yard. Question: What should I be feeding him? I give him a bird seed mix and black sunflower seeds. I also give him leftovers or scraps from garden. Question: His friendly attitude is kinda changing. He has been acting funny. Getting real close to me as if he wants to be on my lap. I open my arms and try to invite him up, but then he starts acting like he's gonna peck me. I walk away or go in the house when he acts like this to show him I don't like it. Um, is he gonna peck my eye out?

2. adorson

adorson New Member

Is he doing his rooster dance near you? They put their one wing down and do this little dance. It could be he is claiming you as he would one of his hens.? Is he the only chicken you have right now? Maybe getting a girl or two will settle him down a bit???

3. BootedBantam

His wings are up and he gets crazy eyes!! I think he smells my fear. He usually starts by putting his head down, as if he wants me rub his head. I used to be able to pet his comb for a bit, don't know what's going on?

4. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

I have heard feeding wild bird seed is bad for them. Or it just doesn't have the necessary nutrients. If he's free ranging I would just feed him scratch mixed with the black oil sunflower seed. He might be trying to claim you if there aren't any hens around. Don't let him near your face if you have a concern. My cousin got pecked in the eye by a very friendly hen that was just curious

5. BootedBantam

No other hens..but getting ready to get some laying females. Recycyle re-use coop in construction. Not sure which breed to get for him or how many? I will have eight nesting boxes in coop. And not to be funny, but planning to put on some sunglasses and heavy gloves and teach this rooster who's boss!! Can I spank him, tell him no, and maybe throw him in the coop?

6. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

A rooster can handle 8 hens easily. Doesn't matter which breeds. They aren't picky. U could try "bonding". Where u hold the rooster in your arms. His head between your elbow and ribs with his tail feathers pointing out in front and hold him for as long as you can for a few weeks. Hold him tight enough where he can't move and tuck his wings down where he can't flap. If you hit or slap him it will dogface the opposite effect by making him more aggressive.

7. BootedBantam

Thank you very much for responding!! Promise not to hit him!! I will try to hold him, wish I could video tape it, because this is going to be interesting. I have Never held a chicken. So, just walk up grab legs from behind and tuck under my arm? I hope the chicken Gods are with me today!!

8. BootedBantam

coop in progress

This is the bottom half. I am working on a door and building house on top.

Attached Files:

9. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

When I grab roosters I reach over them and widen my hands around their wings and hold the body then quickly tuck him up next to u. Or u can hold him in one hand if u hold up under his breast and lean him on his side. This is for a calmer rooster

image-2750878724.jpg

Like you see me here holding him under the breast

10. BootedBantam

Next Question: Does anyone know much about booted bantams? It took me a while to find out his breed, but the booted feathers gave it away. His feathers are finally growing back on his tail also, can't wait to see if they get long and back to where he should be. Also, any chance I am wrong about the breed?

11. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

It seems to me he's just getting healthy again and what you're seeing is normal Roo behavior. My Roo used to be aggressive when I came near his hen. I would just put my foot up and he would bounce around that. If there was no hen, he was sweet as can be. So he was just protective as he should have been about his hen and his home. It was the situation. I think you need to establish that you are in charge and thus is your home and yard, but getting him some hens will likely straighten him out. My guess is that he is with you because he challenged another Roo and was chased off. He needs to set up his own kingdom do to speak. Ok. There's my chicken behavioral psychology for you.

12. BootedBantam

Love all the advice! He is getting healthy, you can see it. There are other roosters in my neighborhood, they all talk and take turns cockadoodling in the morning. Nobody claimed him, and now I am known as the chicken lady on my block. It stinks I don't know his background or age. I did have one neighbor, old man, tell me he is a fighting rooster. I wonder if he was his, hmmm. Either way, love him and trying to educate myself on chickens. Going to get that door on coop and look for local birds first.

13. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Look forward to watching you all grow. Chickens bring lots of smiles!

14. BootedBantam

I had my man hold the chicken first, showed him the thread. He was hard to catch, but once in his arm, he fell asleep! I will try tomorrow, guess I'm chiken lol

Attached Files:

15. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

That's bonding!!!!!!! Idk about Cochins or booted bantams. But that's goo he fell asleep. Hes comfortable

16. BootedBantam

Yes it was. He held him for like 10 minutes and walked around the yard with him. Told him to start doing it everyday. The rooster seems to like him better, but I will try again!! thank you!!

17. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Remember birds need to expand their chest in order to breath. Just hold his chest with enough room to allow them to expand. I've seen lots of birds pass out from lack of oxygen because someone (who was supposedly trained) was holding too tight. Glad you are making progress. He is a beautiful Roo.

18. BootedBantam

He was holding tight at first but while he was walking aroung with him, he let go with one arm, holding him with just one arm, and he said he could feel the rooster calming down. The neighbors were watching us try to chase him. All I could think of was the movie "rocky" you know the scene where rocky has to catch the chicken. It wasn't until I started chanted the rocky theme, my man swooped down and grabbed him. Thank you to all my new chicken friends. It's my turn today, so I am going to sit outside with him a lot today, then wait for my man to get home, and then it's my turn. Unless for some reason I work up the courage and seize my moment today...

19. BootedBantam

While he was holding him, we checked out his feet and body to see if he had mites or anything else? Saw nothing, but he was a little stinky. He has a dusting box outside and makes little nests in the dirt. He looks like he is making love to the dirt lol Question: How can I get him to smell better or is that asking too much?

20. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

You could bathe him. Johnson's baby shampoo is lovely. I like the lavender one. I didn't want to imply you did anything wrong. It was just for future reference for poults, chicks etc.