Rookie Chicken Wrangler

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Elkie1, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Elkie1

Elkie1 Rookie Chicken Wrangler

Hi Everyone,

I just got day old chicks about 8 weeks ago. All are doing well so far. I made a commitment to start living healthier and to me that means cutting out as many chemicals in my food chain and environment as I can.

I currently have a small garden and a chicken tractor in my backyard. I have 6 various chicks, 1 conure and 2 dogs. Used to have horses but currently do not. :( Can't wait until I retire and get that small hobby farm!

I live in the desert and tried to pick chickens that have some heat tolerance. They have plenty of shade and I use frozen water bottles to help them out. I really don't like putting the water bottles in my freezer. Don't want to contaminate my food even though I wash the bottles each time. Anyone have any other suggestions for someone who works full time and isn't home during the day?

Thanks!

2. trey1432

trey1432 New Member

I use water bottles in my freezer too - we wash them off each time. They sit in the door of our deep freeze. We like to watch the chickens reaction when they pop in the water. Eating healthy is great! We've been doing it for three years - growing and buying from local farmers. Best way to go!

3. rob

rob New Member

i grow my own food. i just pick what i want from my garden wash it and eat it, nothing better, or tastier.