roo keeps trying to breed young

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by grgfishkeeper, Nov 7, 2012.

1. grgfishkeeper

grgfishkeeper New Member

I got some 10 week old silkies and my silkie rooster keeps trying to breed them he nearly killed one today so i split him up

2. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

You did right. Some roos just don't get it. I've only had silkie hens but I've heard many times that silkie roos can be boogers.

A good roo, the one you want in charge of your flock, is the one that realizes which hens are "ripe" and ready to be mated and which ones aren't yet ready to carry on his bloodline.

My current brahma cockerel, who will someday lead the flock, is doing exactly what I expect a young cockerel to do. First he's romancing the hens by calling them to eat tasty goodies he's found. Second, he's mating the hens and pullets that are laying and willingly submit to him. Every now and then he'll grab a not yet mature pullet by the back of the neck to test the waters. If she hollers, he lets go immediately and doesn't pursue her further. He also protected all the hens from a falcon the other day.

The cockerel in charge before him didn't do any of that. He was grabbing all the females and forcing himself on them. Which is why he no longer lives on this farm.

If your roo were mine, he would be kept in confinement until the pullets are mature enough to handle him, maybe with a test run every now and then to see if he's figured it out; or he wouldn't be in charge of the flock.

3. grgfishkeeper

grgfishkeeper New Member

This is the first time he has done this and he is confined with the bigger birds so if he wants to breed he can.. but he is a little to small i think