Roger Th Rooster

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by tigereyesblue76, Sep 24, 2012.

1. tigereyesblue76

tigereyesblue76 Member

Anyone got any good tips on taming a young rooster so I am the "alpha" and not him??? I have raised him since he was a 3 wk old chick with 2 of his sisters, he has not started crowing as yet, he is about 20 or so wks old and is a Rhode Island Red, he has just started to show signs of aggression... He has pecked me only once but shows signs that he would like to do it again, can I tame him or are all roosters naturally aggressive??

2. CountryMama

CountryMama Junior Member

Feed him treats (like dried meal worms) out of your hand and pick him up and carry him around a lot. That's what I do and so far, my guys haven't shown any signs of aggression.

3. tigereyesblue76

tigereyesblue76 Member

Good idea on the mealworms.... Thank you.. And I went out back just before and picked him up for awhile, he is very protective of one of my hens also.. every morning when I let them out he bites the back of her neck and pins her down to stop her going any where.. Is this a sign of mating? It's like he's picked his "bitch" LOL, sorry about that but it's the only way I could describe it..

4. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Yes you've got to handle them, carry them, sit and spend some one on one time with them. It works wonders.

5. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Or carry a spray bottle with water, and if he gets goofy, wash his face.:D

6. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

Well, my technique is a bit, unconventional. You need to catch him and hold him down with one hand over his back. With your other hand you pinch a few feathers on the back of his head and press his head down to the ground and hold him there, very firmly for at least 20 seconds.

What this is doing, in chicken language is telling him you are dominate. This is what a rooster does to a hen for mating and what a rooster will do to another rooster to show dominance. I have also seen hens do this, mount another hen to show her dominance over the other.

To them it's degrading, and it puts you clearly above them in the pecking order, in a motion that they can understand.

In my opinion of living with many roosters, severe aggrestion can not be trained out of them, and those roosters are best eaten young. However simple bullying can be nipped in the bud and you can live together with a clear understanding of who is the real boss. I think that ONLY carrying a rooster around and then letting him go shows him that you are a predator that just hasn't eaten him or the girls yet, and he then needs to keep an eye on you.

Also, having two or three roosters, as long as you have a large flock of girls to share helps keep them thinking about each other, and they worry about you less and less. However I never recommend 6 roosters. That's what I have now, I don't have the heart to thin them out because they have worked out their issues, but I'm not looking forward to the next Fight Day in the early Spring........

7. tigereyesblue76

tigereyesblue76 Member

Thanks Roslyn, any info will help, much appreciated..