Rhode Island Red gone broody?

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by hollyosborn, Jul 13, 2012.

1. hollyosborn

hollyosborn HollyOsborn

She was sitting in the nesting box tonight.. not sure whats up with her, so I thought mmmm... and slipped todays 6 eggs under her when i went back down to the coop.. it didnt seem to bother her.. well she did peck my hand once.. but let me slip the others under her.... shes about 2 years old... i was starting to think they didnt go broody.... since NONE of the chickens have before cept my bantum silkies... ??

2. Zyklonbetty

Zyklonbetty New Member

Good luck!!!! The only rooster we have is our serama, so the serama eggs are the only "hatchable" ones we have....so that's what everything hatches. Haha! Anywhere from frizzled Cochin bantams to 6lb ameraucanas have hatched those little guys. Eggs are a little bigger than a quail egg and the little guys come out about the size of a 9volt battery.
    Chickens don't care what they're hatching- only that they are, and I have never had one reject a chick...or even realize it isn't hers.

image-3254444315.jpg

Here is one of our biggest girls raising a serama that will only reach (full grown) about 10oz. She loved her just the same:)

3. hollyosborn

hollyosborn HollyOsborn

OH HOW CUTE!!!!!! those are so sweet. lol

4. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

My best mama was "Jo-Jo" and she was a Rhode Island Red.

5. hollyosborn

hollyosborn HollyOsborn

she gave up the next day... crazy chickens..... oh well.. i have my HOVA-BATOR! hahaha