Rescue chicken

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by sandra, Sep 18, 2012.

1. sandra

sandra New Member

IMPORTANT...Please read and answer...I have three hens and one rooster, they are almost five months old...at the local animal shelter, there is a rescued hen...do not know her age, she appears to be a Cochin. I want to adopt her into my flock. My hens are New Hampshire reds and my rooster is a Jersey Giant. Can I do this or will there be bad fighting with my flock. If the hen at shelter doesn't get adopted they will put her down so please answer is you know as soon as you can.

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Go for it!

3. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I've checked into rescue critters a few times ... but it always comes back to the rules and regs that they have on it. So that is what I would check first.

The last horse rescue wanted to be able to come on my farm, any time they wanted ... day or night ... without calling. I told them sorry, anyone in my horse barn at 3 in the morning was going to get shot at.

They didn't like that ... :confused: lol

So just check if they have any rules & regs ...

4. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

If they don't get along, you can try to find her a new home. You won't know unless you try! I say Go for it, too!! I am all about rescuing animals and giving them a second chance!!

5. jen3910

jen3910 New Member

I would go for it. Just take it slowly. And like others have said if it doesn't work out you can find her a new home.

6. sandra

sandra New Member

Thank you all. Good news miss hen was adopted this morning. I didn't get there in time but thats ok, she has a home and that was most important.

7. BirdManSamiJD

BirdManSamiJD New Member

Glad it worked out then!