Red Mites

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by ClaireMackyd, Aug 15, 2012.

1. ClaireMackyd

ClaireMackyd New Member

Hi all,my name is Claire and I live in the UK.We have 3 Silver Sussex,1 Rhondda Blue,1 Rhondda Ranger and 1 Sussex Pont.
    Has anyone got any tips on getting rid of red mites??? We have jetwashed,disinfected,dusted coop and chickens but we need to redo it this weekend for the 7 day cycle but they are on the fencing too now.I know the old fashioned creasote worked but you cant get that anymore but will need to cover fence in something as the mites are getting on our clothes!!
    Any help would be great.
    Grrrr :(

2. rob

rob New Member

i bought creosote a few months back from b and q.

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe New Member

4. ClaireMackyd

ClaireMackyd New Member

Hi Rob,,,I was of the understanding the creosote you get now is not effective? do you use it for chickens?
    Thanks

5. cogburn

cogburn New Member

DE only way to go

6. rob

rob New Member

i used it on my coop and although i use smite as a precaution i have had no problems with mites.

7. cgmccary

cgmccary New Member

This scourge rears its head on my bids every year or two. They come whether you use DE or not. If you are using DE and haven't got them, you are just lucky. Many vectors (wild birds, mice, heavy rains) can bring them in.

When I discover the first mites, they usually are on half the flock. I treat with Ivermectin, for large fowl. Depending on weight, about 4-7 drops on the skin between the shoulder blades being careful not to get anywhere else. Treat the whole flock. I then clean out the coops and nest boxes best I can and spray permethrin in the coop (I confine the permethrin to the coops as I keep honeybees and do not like using poisons anywhere near the bees.) Retreat in 10 days.

Some people use what is referred to as Sevin dust here (i.e. Carbaryl) and dust their birds using a dusting pistol or other device to get down in the feathers esp. vent area, under wings and base of tail (I do not keep Sevin dust at my place because it is deadly to honeybees & IMHO, you should use it only if you must).) Also, when I take birds to shows, I put a few drops of Frontline between their shoulder blades so they do not pick up any mites from other birds. (I would not use Frontline on any bird I was going to eat but I have not had mites infest young birds.) I hear Adams Dog Spray will kill them too

8. Bopup

Bopup New Member

What is DE?

9. Elkie1

Elkie1 Rookie Chicken Wrangler

10. Elkie1

Elkie1 Rookie Chicken Wrangler

11. ChickenMansion

ChickenMansion New Member

What DE Really Is.

This is a link to a great article on DE, of what it actually is. You can purchase Diotomacious Earth (DE) online, local farm or tractor supply, not sure about UK. DE is a must for pest control. I wait until my girls are out of the coop, dawn on eye protection, grab a handfuls and toss. I put it on my bedding, in my boxes and also have a cat pan/box with DE in it. Some people mix ash or light sterile dirt in the cat box with the DE, I use it straight. You can also use DE as a natural wormer, I do, about a cup to 50 lbs of food, read the package or google the dosage.

Great: http://www.squidoo.com/fossilflour#module28312712
    Also: http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp