Prolapse vent?

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by kaufranc, Dec 15, 2012.

1. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

I have been soaking my 2 yr old chicken for about 2 days. She is keep in the basement in a cat carrier. I don't believe she has an egg stuck because she laid a big egg with some blood on it the day before I brought her in. The skin on the outside is the color of dried blood and kinda looks like a head of a males pee pee.(trying to keep my words clean!) soaking her isn't really making anything fall off. I tried peeling the black head off slowly but it starts to bleed. Help!

2. artsy1

artsy1 Artfulwings

how is she now?

3. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

She has been the same for past 3 days. Still acts, eats and drinks like she is healthy . Just has a growth on her vent and smells really bad!
    I give her a warm soak at night and then PH ointment. Back in her crate for dark time.
    How long will this go on?

4. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

If it is a prolapse, use some preparation H on it,then you need to ever so gently, push it back in, then maybe use some preparation H around the vent to kinda take the swelling out and help hold it in. But I don't know for sure that is what that is. This is outta my realm of knowledge. Sorry!

5. toybarons

toybarons I luv Polish & Houdans

I have dealt with prolapse. It does sort of look like a small penis sticking out of the vent. Follow fuzziebutt advice. Prep H can help. Keep her away from other birds while the prolapse is sticking out as other birds will peck at it and can make it worse.

A prolapse can take days, even weeks to go back in. A hen of mine took nearly a month. I had just resolved myself that she was going to be that way the rest of her days. One day I went to check on her and the prolapse was gone. It went back in. Never happened again, thankfully.

6. artsy1

artsy1 Artfulwings

can you post a pic to be sure thaqts what going on?

7. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Update.... Momma is doing much better! Her vent is staying inside her more now. She has been a real trooper through this. This has been my first experience with this and I even surprised myself! Momma has never been one of my FAVORITE chickens but through all this I have looked at her very differently. She has seen a few attacks and kills in her short 2 years and she has gotten her Looney Momma name from never really getting over her shocks with them. I will add this to yet another thing I have done for my beloved, Looney chickens! Guess that makes me Looney too!

8. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Thank you for all your help!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  9. baskerboo

baskerboo New Member

I have a chicken that gets poop build up and what I do is spray her with warm water and it will start to fall off

10. toybarons

toybarons I luv Polish & Houdans

Glad your Momma is doing better :)