Predator Control

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by cgmccary, Aug 14, 2012.

1. cgmccary

cgmccary New Member

I utilize dogs and a Jenny to keep away predators. I have very little predator problems even though I am located in a National Forest where there are Coyotes, Bobcats, Fox, Raccoons, Opossums, Black Bear. There is nothing but miles of forest behind me. I have not had to kill anything & would not want to as the predators around me respect the boundaries.

As far as aerial predators, I find that the resident (nesting close by) Red Shouldered Hawks keep away the other birds of prey along with my Toulouse Geese.

My pasture horseshoes around my home, barns and coops so anything coming out of the deep woods must cross open pasture with my Jenny:
    [​IMG]

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I'm in Wisconsin surrounded by woods. We have Cougars, bears, wolves, coyotes, fishers, owls, raccoons, hawks , eagles, ect and I have yet to loose a bird. I dont have predator protection but either us, the kids, or the dog are always outside. I've also never had to trap or shoot a predator. Which actually surprises me since we know they are there.

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Only predator problem I've had is the sneaking chippy I chased up yesterday who "thought" he was going to get a free meal in the run. I have the coop run door open when I let the girls out to play - while supervised by us and our german shepard (Lily). Lily takes her chicken sitting job very seriously. :) Lots of predators where I'm at too. Thankfully have not seen any pine snakes this year. Been worried about those. They can get so huge. NOT welcome in my yard!

4. FairWinds

FairWinds Junior Member

Unfortunately I have a predator problem. I've had several birds disappear without even a "poof" of feathers (although I've had plenty of "poofs" as well). We have coyotes, foxes, owls, hawks, eagles, and actually had a black bear run across the yard a few weeks ago. I'm just not sure which is the biggest culprit. I live on a large prairie so pretty much any Florida predator can be found out there. My dogs go down with me at night to feed up, and I have several horses running loose in the area (I know they're not as good as donkeys). I have heard of a bit of a movable roof that the chickens can run under to get away from aerial attacks, has anyone ever seen/used one of these?

5. Chiefbuzz

Chiefbuzz New Member

OK. I'm new to this but was raised up with chickens as a kid. I had to feed them and clean the coop and all but now the wife has gone fresh eggs and all. I find myself loving it and those dang birds are so funny to watch. I was out cutting wood the other day and seen this thing creeping in the tall grass, when I looked again it was gone, today I was doing some tractor work and I got a good look and its a Fisher Cat which love chicken Oh and our neighbor cat also from the way things look.

My wife is upset but I did talk her out of moving all the chickens and ducks into the house tonight so far but does anyone know a good things or way to to get rid of it. We have about 5 acres mainly woods and a small open pasture. I like the Jenny ideal but fencing would cost a bunch right now. It looks like its in my brush pile which will be gone after first snow. I don't want to hunt it but will if need be as times tought and the chicken are part of our food source not that cats...... How would one of those Cats look as a hat??

6. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I refer you to Cogburn. Private message him. He's all that with predators and such.

7. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

The fisher is a cool animal, until they come to the house for dinner ... and you are right, they love chicken or an other critter they can get.

Are the chickens and ducks in a coop at night or just a fenced area? If they have a coop (with a wooden floor) I would not worry much, aslong as you can lock them in at night.

Also electric fencing is being used in our area for the coyotes and other wild critters ... Which is working ... The fencing is put around/outside of the run and or coop.

Hope this helps.

8. Chiefbuzz

Chiefbuzz New Member

Yes they are locked up at night, but what about the day time? They are in a large run with a 6' chain link type fence but the top is open they have cover from anything flying but if something was to climb over it would be free game or dinner :mad:

9. Keith

Keith New Member

I was going to start a thread but I will piggy back on this one.

Last night I did not close the coop door and lost three birds.

I have no idea what it was but every night I am going to close the door, if they die in the day I think it's the cats.

We don't have a donkey and have to keep our big dog removed else she will kill them. Kind of looking for more options, perhaps a donkey is a good idea, are they like goats in regards to destroying everything? I have 12 acres it could roam, plenty for a single donkey?

10. crazybirdchick

crazybirdchick New Member

I had a terrible problem this Spring with Raccoons and Coyotes. They took every single chicken I had. I asked around for a cheap solution for protection and someone said get mean geese. I now have 3 Chinese geese that are mean as could be, but have actually watched them chase off both coons and coyotes. They are fearless and stay out all night on watch along with the ducks. The chickens get shut in every night, but run free all day and I haven't lost one of the 70. As long as you don't mind getting chased, hissed at, and attempted biting (so far) I am impressed.

11. DansChickens

DansChickens Member

I had a black snake in my coop this summer cuz I didn't get any eggs for a week or two and found it laying the egg boxes killed one little chick ( poor chick) nice silkie . Then we shot it that day

12. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Look into Guard Animals ... donkey or a dog like the Great Pyrenees ... Right now (after fencing) the guard animal is ranking rather high with wildlife management ... We have a mini jack now, he is young but I like what I see. We had ( note I did say "had") Great Pyrenees ... and they did a good job ... till the folks next door started to bring them treats ... T-bone steak like treats. :mad:

I ask them not to feed the dogs bones but that went in one ear and out the other. The dogs put the folks next dog within their area ... and then they (the folks down the road) started to bitch because the dogs made their way over to their house morning and night ...

The Pyrenees was a great dog and did a good job with all the critters, chickens on up to the horses till the folks down the road ... (rant) and we moved them on to another farm, without folks just down the road.

Where I hear they are doing a great job ... looking after the homestead critters.

13. DansChickens

DansChickens Member

They say if u grow em up from a pup with chickens they'll protect them which my border collie is good with em now I can put her with em no problem

14. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I agree ... if the grows up with them they are "In the club" lol unless we are talking about my corgi cross... (dang dog) ... but she is getting better. :)

15. DansChickens

DansChickens Member

I know I got a 80 lb rott rott welier I've probably lost 5 chickens to em can't control his playful and fighter side he think he owns the whole yard and woods what ever comes to mind for him haha

16. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

One trick ... that has worked for us. If you "see" the dog kill a chicken, tie the chicken to their neck.

No you can't get near the dog (if the weather is hot) for a few days but it works! ... I have done this more than a few times over the years ... It works!!!

17. DansChickens

DansChickens Member

Thanks next time he does it I will try it (hopefully never soon ) haha

18. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Pink Floyd is a great pup, and already has woke me up with 2 skunks outside (14 weeks old now) but I've had Great Pyrenees before with 20+ Boer Goats and they are the Best!!

Attached Files:

19. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Welcome to the machine.

20. cgmccary

cgmccary New Member

Donkeys are not as bad as goats about destroying things. At least, mine is not. Now my cows are somewhat destructive. The cows will tear up a gate, tear up a manger, knock down a fence. The one thing you do have to be aware of is that the Donkey is just protecting her territory (and NOT protecting the chickens per se), so some Donkeys will kill the chickens. I once observed my Donkey trying to stomp my Game hen and her young chicks. The chicks scattered in all directions & she didn't get any of them. Occasionally, she will chase a chicken, though not as seriously as I observed on that occasion. The chickens have learned not to get as close to the donkey & to be wary of her. In contrast, the chickens will even walk under the cows, so they are distinguishing the donkey from the cows.

Generally, a Jenny or gelded Jack is best. I had an intact Jack and he was great in that, he was very human friendly and also, he was not aggressive with the chickens at all (unlike the Jenny) but he was aggressive toward my Bull. I was awoke in the middle of the night (2 a.m.) to the sounds of my Bull bellowing like he was being killed. It would be the Jack. This happened on several occasions. One time he had the Bull down in my pond. I had to run down, wade into the pond and pull the Jack off the Bull. My Bull had cut marks all over his neck. I decided then I would follow the advice I had been given & get a Jenny (and get rid of the Jack).

Like all the animals on the place, my Jenny also hates my Toulouse Geese. The geese only tried to intimidate her one time, and she lowered her ears and went after them. They actually took to the air and flew to get away from her. Now, they keep their distance from her. Donkeys are going to vary in this regard as to what they are aggressive towards. However, most Donkeys will be canine aggressive (but know that not all of them).

I also have to be watchful that my 13 year old Maltease does not wander in the pasture without me. It would take just a second for my Jenny to kill him (then I would have to kill her).

My Jenny is all that is on the farm today between the coyotes and the chickens because my good dog is at the Vet having to get chemo for a cancerous tumor. She has once a week for 4 more weeks after today so i am counting on the Jenny today.