Permits to Raise Chickens

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Keith, Aug 21, 2012.

1. I agree, permits are needed.

25 vote(s)
    8.4%
  2. I disagree, permits should NOT be required.

271 vote(s)
    91.6%
  1. Keith

Keith New Member

Some Cities like Billings are looking to implement a permit system to raise chickens.

Do you agree with having to get a permit to raise chickens?

2. Conelrad

Conelrad New Member

Cities look at it as a way to raise money, lawyers use it (for money as well) to settle disagreements between residents.

Dennis

3. crazychickenlady

crazychickenlady New Member

You don't need a permit for a cat or dog...and they can be more disruptive to the neighbors than chickens. Crazy!

4. mamadice

mamadice New Member

I can see the need for regulating how many chickens a person has within certain city limits, etc., but if you're out in the country, I see no need for permits or regulations. As long as they're not mistreated, I figure it's fine to have as many as you can comfortably raise.

5. stoopid

stoopid New Member

Yes, but some places want you to license dogs.
    I feel permits for chickens is a waste of time and money. They should go after more serious offenders. C'mon... chickens?

6. rockbear777

rockbear777 New Member

I do not believe you should need a permit to raise chickens if you live in country or zoned for agricultural.

7. Artsouth

Artsouth New Member

Our city does not enforce the permit regulation, and I suspect we'll be getting a review of the rule soon. The Mobile Bay Area Backyard Chicken Club's Standards Committee is in the process of drafting a proposal for the City that will be a summary of our recommendations. I think Billings did this exercise a few years ago.
    We have to have a dog license, renewed annually, so I expect we can look forward to some kind of permit for chickens when the subject hits City Hall.

8. berger

berger New Member

I live in a small rural town. So far, we have not had this issue arise but areas around us are fighting with it.

It seems the chicken owners are winning most of the fights around here:).

9. charliechapman911

charliechapman911 New Member

It is just another way for them to take your money!!! I live in liconshire and we don't need one (I dont think) hahaha

10. cherittfn

cherittfn Junior Member

Really?

Do I need a permit to raise children. They are louder, more destructive, and messier. I don't understand what the problem is with chickens.

11. Terri_Espinoza

Terri_Espinoza New Member

I hate it when the city decides to start wanting permits because it is never just the permit. They then want to tell you how to raise your chickens, what kind you can have, what housing you have to have and the list goes on. If someone is raising chickens and they are not causing any problems, they should not have to have a permit that permits the city to stick their noses in everything they do.

12. eldfort

eldfort New Member

I'm new to the chicken life, and I actually do think permits should be required, but only for numbers, and only in cities, not counties. I love my babies, but if I lived in a city subdivision with a house 20 feet or so away, my neighbors would probably want to kill me for all the crowing going on in my yard. I know if I lived in a city subdivision, and my next door neighbor had 4 roosters crowing all the time, it would annoy me. I live in the county and everyone has them around here.

13. kaytee

kaytee New Member

Possibly a "chicken licence", like a dog/cat licence, wouldn't be out of line, especially in the cities. That way, the city would have some idea re: the numbers, and have the funding to enforce regulations, re-home the inevitable "stray chickens" or ones turned in to Animal Control when the fad dies off/people find that it's work to have chickens/chickens don't match their new decor/etc.

14. Jayne

Jayne New Member

We live on 8 acres in the country, so it doesn't affect us, but honestly, in a city environment, I can see where a permit process would be helpful, especially if there are roos involved!
    I'd be interested to know what the criteria is for getting a permit in these situations....The county we live in requires that all pets be licensed, but seems to me that they're considering chickens to be livestock, not pets.

15. kaytee

kaytee New Member

Yes, you do need permits to have dogs in most places, and in some places, to have cats. For a single pet-- or maybe up to 3-4, you just need licences. Over that-- you need "kennel permits"/whatever the cat equivalent is. Then there are HOA regulations, rental agreements, etc. that limit what/how many you can have.

16. Jody

Jody New Member

no I don't think permits are necessary, I'm in the country and my chickens don't bother anyone, no noise, no smell etc. Just a money grab I think!

17. rodrigch

rodrigch New Member

Permits for chickens

Here in Pocatello, ID we are supposed to register our chickens (up to five hens allowed in city limits, no roosters) at $5 a pop. Animal control visited once as a neighbor complained about my rooster (worse than a barking dog) and was informed of these regulations. However, she said if there were no complaints, they were not enforcing laws as more and more people were becoming backyard chicken enthusiasts. Keep your facilities clean, muffle the "noise" with bushes and there should be no problems. I currently have five three year old hens and five poults just beginning to lay and zero complaints from neighbors. If I hear grumblings from them, I am quick to offer free eggs and the grumblings disappear immediately. ;)

18. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso

I don't think you should need a permit or license to keep a few hens in a city.

It would make sense to require a permit for a larger number, because some people will get out of hand with it.

For instance, maybe you could have up to 6 hens with no permit, but if you want more than that, you might need to pay a small yearly fee for each hen over 6.

19. bevie55

bevie55 Bevie

I agree the logic of you don't need a permit for a dogs or cats why for chickens?

20. jec3113

jec3113 New Member

In my city here in Oklahoma, they decided to require permits for dogs. Nobody purchsed them and now they have repealed it. LOL It will be a cold day you know where before I buy a permit to raise animals on my property. I disagree with the whole idea. My neighbors don't need a permit for their obnoxious barking dogs or their kids 4 wheeler which is illegally ridden on city streets, so I could care less if my 3 roosters bother them.