Our first year

Discussion in 'Meat Chickens' started by dragon_lady, Sep 7, 2012.

1. dragon_lady

dragon_lady New Member

Hi,
    we have 12 'meat kings' that are 4 weeks old today...and growing super fast!

The larger ones must already weigh about 3 pounds! Looks like we have a few roo's in the mix as they are getting red wattle and combs already.

the bottom pic shows one of our layers-to-be, (we have six and they are 14 weeks old now) we call them 'The Girls'.

The meat kings we have nicknamed 'The Oven Club' :D

I can honestly say we won't raise meat kings again, there has been no cute factor with them, which is probably not a bad thing as they are destined for the table after all :rolleyes: and they have had an 'oven ready' look to them for the whole time.

Our local co-op suggests we can feed the layers and the meat kings the same rations until the hens start laying. Not sure about this, the Girls get plenty of free range time so are well fed with whatever they find in the woods, grass or
    under the wood pile and of course around the house..oh and not to mention under the cars!

Attached Files:

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Dragon lady I love your pics and your stories. Watching with longing from NJ. Enjoy them! They are just too cute! Kids are the best. The world is all new to them. ;-)

3. twentynine

twentynine New Member

Yes! I believe you could feed the same grower ration to both sets of chickens.

4. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Love the pictures ... Thanks for posting.

5. dragon_lady

dragon_lady New Member

Our Meat Kings "The Oven Club" have now reached 9 weeks old.
    We have processed 3 birds so far, one at 8 weeks and two today at 9 weeks. they are huge birds already and we had enough meat off tonight roasted meal to feed 6 generous portion of chicken. It was delicious. The 2nd one has been portioned up and put into the freezer. My husband said the legs and breast portions looked like a small turkey!

Tbh i thought I was going to be more squeamish about 'processing' them but with my husbands help and some youtube vids we did really well.

I didn't get emotionally attached to 'The Oven Club' and it has certainly helped when it came time to 'do the deed'!

I thought we might not raise meat kings again but at first, but now I've got a taste for home grown roast chicken and chicken curry we may well do it again next year.

This year we kept them in an old barn, it gets very smelly in there and takes some cleaning out, next time we will build a chicken tractor for them as we have some fine pasture to move them around on. We just couldn't afford it this year.

6. dragon_lady

dragon_lady New Member

I forgot to mention we have a number of Roo's in 'The Oven Club', 2 starting to crow for about 10 minutes each morning. They are not very good at it and I think they may now have made their way into the oven as we picked the biggest birds to process first ;-)

7. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Once you have raised your own meat birds it is hard to go back to the stuff from the store. :)

Did you pluck them or skin them?

8. dragon_lady

dragon_lady New Member

Hi Andi, we plucked the first one, and it took forever and we had to use a pair of pliers to get some of the feathers out lol. we skinned the next two and it was a much quicker way to process them. Skinning them didn't make any difference to the flavour of the meat so its a method we will use again.

9. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

That was what we did. lol

10. dragon_lady

dragon_lady New Member

Tomorrow the 'Oven Club' will be 12 weeks old, we found one of the roos dead last week, no idea why he died, we are assuming he died of a heart attack.
    It made us decide to process the remaining 8 birds this weekend anyway ;-)