Our First Egg :-)

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by Jim, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Jim

Jim New Member

We got the first egg today! WOOOO HOOOO. It was even in the nest box. The only problem, we gave them follow-up anti-biotics just 3 days ago, so, we are on a 10 day lock down from eating :-( It is ok though, at least I know one of them knows what they are here to do! It is a medium green color, so pretty. 1.5 oz, so a little small, but, an egg indeed.:)

Attached Files:

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Yay! Congrat's! Poke a hole & blow out the yolk then you can still enjoy your egg without eating it. :D I saved my first egg ... well until my rat terrier took a liking to the eggs. She stole my blown out eggs and shattered them on me when I was gone to work one day. =(

3. rob

rob New Member

congratulations. cant wait for my first. good idea with blowing the egg as well. may well do that.

4. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Antibiotic & eggs.

Didn't even think about not eating the eggs after having the girls on antibiotic. I've had mine on duramycin for about 10 days because of this respiratory thing my one hen has had for 2 weeks. :eek: I've been putting it in their water. Since it doesn't seem to be doing a thing, I started giving them plain water again yesterday. Should I pull my eggs I have in the fridge then and toss them? We haven't eaten any eggs lately since they've had the duramycin by chance.

5. Jim

Jim New Member

Not sure with that one. Different ones have different residual. The guy at the feed store(an old chicken guy) said to discard eggs for 10 days after giving it to them.

6. Jim

Jim New Member

I like the blowing it out option.

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Someone suggested cooking all the questionable eggs in a scramble and feeding them back to the chickens. That way they're not wasted. I thought it was a good suggestion.

8. Jim

Jim New Member

Not sure on that. I have heard too that you may just be prolonging the effect of the anti-biotic, but not sure if that is based on science.

9. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

The dose would be so low after metabolizing the drug through the chickens. The dose is really low too (to start with) because its dosed in the water. I'd have a really hard time being convinced the eggs would be s problem for them. Show me the data and then I'll believe that. And I am a scientist (DVM) by the way. Lol

10. Jim

Jim New Member

Good to know. Thanks for that. Sounds more like it is all "old wives tales" as I had suspected.