One of my little girls is acting funny???

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Mamachickof14, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

If anyone has any advice what is going on...she sits by herself all fluffed up with her tail up in the air almost like she is trying to lay an egg. This happened once before and after watching her what seemed like hours she layed an egg but it was a yoke in a soft sack?? Am I doing something wrong? I feed her the best of crumbles from Tractor Supply store. It's suppose to have everything they need and everyday I give them an extra treet. (watermellon, bread, corn, tomatoes etc.) I did see her eat and drink water tonight but I had to pick her up and put her in the coop tonight. I.m afraid to check in the morning?? Help?? Jen

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Can you keep her inside with you? Or is she already roosting? It sounds like she could be egg bound again. Can you palate her abdomen to see?

3. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Need a little more info ...

4. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

Yes, more information!! What is palate her abdomen? Never had chickens before! She is in her coop already tonight...I could have brought her in?? Answer please!! Jen

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I'm sorry, it was palpate her abdomen. It just means gently feel her abdomen for what feels like an egg maybe stuck inside. You had mentioned previous experience with difficulty. Being fluffed up and alone are not good things for a chicken to be doing. They generally mean trouble - she's in trouble.

6. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

How so ........

7. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

I will feel it in her belly?? Then what? This is the second time...the first time it came out all soft, sack like, with a yoke inside...:eek: After...instantly she was all better? I'll let you know how she is in the morning. This might sound stupid but if its stuck can you crack it some how? Will this be the norm for her? I'd hate to see her always suffer!? Jen

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Let's just see what the morning brings. She might be right as rain by then.

9. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

Thanks!! Will do... Jen

10. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

We can hope ...

11. teddy

teddy Scrambled Eggs

Sounds like production chicks. The soft white egg shell. Are the other chickens avoiding or picking on her?

12. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Jen, it will help to familiarize yourself with a chickens anatomy, I'll post some pics that may help you see where the problem lies.. The egg sits up higher than in the "abdomen", also they have a very unique digestive system, and the reproductive system may surprise many folks as to how they "work"...

Cogburn

Attached Files:

13. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

She (Eggy) made it threw the night...I don't know if she layed it this morning or if she passed the slimmy egg yoke sack during the night?? (they all tried to eat it the first time):eek: Enough information of that!! Can't thank you all enough for just being there to offer help! Gives me a little confidence...off to clean the coop! Jen

14. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

Sorry, but what does that mean? They don't avoid her but they don't pick on her either?? When this was happening she just sat off by herself. Now she is mixed right in with them all. Eatting and drinking well... What is the cause of the soft white egg shell? Thanks and I'll be waiting for your answer...really Thanks! Jen:)

15. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

Thanks for all the info!

Lots of info there! I was never good in Science! Very interesting...Jen:)

16. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Very nice illustrations, Cogburn. What's the book they are from?

17. teddy

teddy Scrambled Eggs

If they avoid her or pick on her, driving her away from the flock she is sick. Not a good thing. Nature preys on the weak. Instinct takes over so the flock does not get preyed upon. Keeping her separate from the flock.

Production chicks from the hatchery. Bread to produce eggs quickly. She is just starting out laying. Developing her egg maker. She should be OK. Just a moderate amount of high protein feed. Life cycle is quicker with production bread chicks.

18. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Just sharing.... That's how I roll..

19. cogburn

cogburn New Member

It's Chikens Magazine..

20. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Just curious for my own benefit as well as others. There's an old vet saying ...

They don't care how much ya know, until they know how much ya care.

Interesting thought, no?