North Mississippi Roost

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mellie, Sep 15, 2012.

1. mellie

mellie New Member

I started on may 18th with a duckling whose mom left her. I named her Duckie and I bought 2 hens to grow up with. Duckies mom belongs to my neighbor, and she picked my hay barn for nesting. Well, never thought I would like chickens, but I just did not know... I absolutely love my chickens. I bought a baby chick, named her Rockie as she was a barred rock hen, and my daughter picked out a little chick and named her Oreo. Unfortunately something got in the coop and killed the two chickens on July 4th. I was devastated.so I bought two more. A little cream Americauna and a norwegian ??? Named them Lucy and Ethel. I missed my barred rock so much, I got another one and named her Betty White. In the meantime, Duckie's mom or aunt had more eggs in the hay barn, and Cindy Lou Who and Dr. Suess joined the flock. 3 cluck clucks and 3 quackers which are Muscovy ducks. Turns out, Duckie is a lady, Doc is all boy and yet to verify Cindy Lou Who. Her feet are bigger than Duckie's but she is smaller than Doc. Betty is beautiful. Lucy is for sure the crazy red head. Ethel is the beautiful blonde. Ethel loves to bump chests, but that is all the confrontation that happens. Betty gets the wild "feather" and suddenly jumps up flaps and runs around. They are getting more adventurous and have started venturing more than 20 feet of the coop. I let them out in the morning, and here lately they decided sitting on top of the coop is better than going inside. It gives me a chance to pick them up and lovingly talk to them before putting them to bed in the coop. The ducks are starting to get too big for the coop. I wish I could convince them ducks belong at the pond... But they make it back to the house before me when I have tried.

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

This is beautiful. It reads like a children's story. Illustrate it and sell it to pay for chicken food. I could picture every detail. Pics please if I can have illustrations. Thank you for this.

3. mellie

mellie New Member

Ha ha. I wish I could post pictures, but when I try, the buttons to chose photo is faded and it doesn't allow me to. I don't know if it is my iPad or just me. I had my house recarpeted and the office is crammed with stuff, so I can't get to the "real" computer.

image-245167830.jpg

Ethel

image-468912854.jpg

Cindy Lou Who

image-519455718.jpg

Betty White

image-1118279610.jpg

Lucy

4. mellie

mellie New Member

image-3752571793.jpg

When Cindy Lou was little

image-215053788.jpg

Dr. Suess when he was a week old.

image-1002423950.jpg

Duckie's birthday

image-3045485308.jpg

Duckie's grown up picture

5. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Awww, they're adorable & beautiful! Ethel is one gorgeous little lady!!!

6. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

You need to start writing children's books. Seriously. Ducky's birthday is precious beyond words. Call a publisher, I'm telling you.

7. mellie

mellie New Member

I have a video of Duckie's birthday..of her swimming around the dog bowl and my papillion checking her out. The whole gang may not be happy with me today... It is raining, and I may leave them in the coop. With Cindy Lou Who and Dr. Suess getting big, it is getting crowded. Maybe it will clear up by the time I get home and can let them out. Can you imagine, I have 3 ducks that don't like water...at least not for swimming. I think the chickens have convinced them water is evil. LOL.

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I'm telling you.... Children's stories.

9. mellie

mellie New Member

Energyvet, thank you. I always "talk" for my animals to as things are happening. Today, Ethel found a giant grasshopper and got the whole flock excited. She ran screaming "No,no, MINE,MINE" and she got mad at me when I told the others, that I had brought out watermelon for them. Ethel was busy eating alone and did not want to share! They all got grapes and peas this morning.

10. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Oh course! It just makes sense to narrate the story as it unfolds. How funny life is when we do that.

11. Matunda

Matunda New Member

I love reading about them all. I have had muscovies before. I find them very entertaining! They are unlike other ducks, they don't care for water much and enjoy perching. They also ate great layers and mothers. You may have a whole flock on your hands before you know it. My chickens love watermelon and they got their first grapes today.

12. mellie

mellie New Member

I got a thrill from God this morning. We were having coffee on the back porch, and from the corner of my eye, I saw a Muscovy flying around the porch and down the side of the house! It was none other than my Duckie!! She was flying, more than to just hop up on something. I was so proud of her.

13. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

We're loving that Ducky! She's a wonder, and an individual!

14. mellie

mellie New Member

Well, I posted and was not logged in... *rolls eyes at self*
    We have found Duckie's roosting spot now.... She is on the roof at night. I closed the other girls in last night at about a little past dusk, and looked up and she was way up there. Will she stay up there is there is... LOL - fowl weather? We have storms coming in later in the week... at least that is what they say, and they are 90% wrong... most of the time... but should I worry about her? not that there is anything I can do if she gets up there.

15. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I just don't like that she's by herself. Makes her a "sitting duck." I would see if I could get her to reconsider her options.

16. piglett

piglett Senior Member

they have been around chickens their whole life so now they think they are chickens. it happens

17. mellie

mellie New Member

Well, all of the ducks found the pond, and either their mom or aunt... they don't come back to the coop anymore. They will come around looking for food some afternoons, but the other duck has taught them how to be ducks. I am so excited when I see them out on the pond. I bet they show up this afternoon, my daughter has gone to get crickets for the lizards, and I asked her to get me some wax worms... the chickens love them and I am teaching Betty White to hop up on command for her wax worm. But yeah, I bet Doc and Cindy smell them when she drives up and come looking for their share. LOL