Normal?

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by MMEWChickens, Oct 12, 2012.

1. MMEWChickens

MMEWChickens New Member

We have 14 Brown Leghorn hens about 1 1/2 years old. They have practically stopped laying... we get one to two eggs a day. This year was very odd for us weather-wise. Very warm winter and a hot, dry summer. This fall the weather is back to normal but they have stopped producing. Do we wait it out...? Any suggestions or advice would be great. Thanks!

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Mine did the same thing for all of August and most of September. Started right before their molt. The days are already much shorter where I am at. Not sure if you have that where you are or not. The short days have already affected mine - right after they were beginning to lay good again. :rolleyes: I would wait and see what happens with yours.

3. MMEWChickens

MMEWChickens New Member

Thank you for your reply. They molted for (what seemed like) the whole darn summer and are just now out of molt... I am from Wisconsin, the days are much shorter. I hope that they don't wait until spring to start up again!:(

4. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

They will start up soon depending if they have artificial light in their coop to make up for the shorter days. I have xmas led lights in mine. Mostly just because "I" can't stand the long fall/winter nights. :p Noticed it took mine a long time too to molt and then start laying again. Still only getting about 2 a day between 7 big hens.

5. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

They need about 16 hours of light a day to lay, so they might need some artificial light in the coop if you want them to lay through the winter. Or, you could let them rest!

6. MMEWChickens

MMEWChickens New Member

I think we will try adding a light and see what happens. They slowed down during the winter last year but it was expected, they didnt stop though. I would let them have a "break" but it seems like they have all summer!! :) It was such an off year...