"Night time winter mash" Recipe

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Wrigley, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Wrigley

Wrigley Junior Member

Good morning,

This will be my first winter with chickens. I live in New England and our winters can be pretty severe. I have heard lots of talk about feeding chickens just before bedtime a "Night time winter mash". Can I ask for some recipes??

Also, If you have any other advice for winter. I plan on covering their run so they won't be stuck inside all the time, plus that way I won't have to shovel any snow for them.

Thanks,

Wrigley

2. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

Keep them out of wind, have space that is dry and some outside covered space to poke through hay and keep active and you should be good to go. Be sure you have ventilation to keep moisture from building up, that will freeze toes and combs and they should do the rest.

I'm not sure about the mash, but tossing some corn scratch before bedtime is supposed to help warm them up. I toss scratch in hay and they dig around looking for it. More for mental stimulation than anything else. If the weather is really bad they will keep to the coop, but a few of them will still wander through the snow and poke around. Their snow foot prints are funny, like alien hand prints.

However, be sure you are there to see their reactions to the first snow. It is a little different with each batch of chickens, but it's a RIOT to watch them try to figure out snow!!!

3. Wrigley

Wrigley Junior Member

Thanks Roslyn. I will be sure to record "their first snow".

Wrigley

4. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

My old timers now see snow, look at it, then turn around and stay put in the coop. A few still venture out, even with 5 or 6 inches, but most just hang out and gossip all day.

5. Diane

Diane New Member

this will be my first winter with the chickies as well, I"m in CT:) Mine get a daily treat of 'something', whether it's some scratch, whatever I have around, I usually in late afternoons take them out a bowl of 'mash' which the just devoure(sp)..All it is , is their crumble with warm water added, made into a mash..they like oatmeal as well

6. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

Never tried it (this is my first winter) but I heard they like warm oatmeal too! :) Love my girls...

7. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

We make warm oatmeals for the girls quite often. Just a nice added treat. Sometimes I add a little cinnamon, sometimes applesauce, or a little jelly. So funny watching that oatmeal fly and them picking it off each other. Quite the entertainment.

8. Wrigley

Wrigley Junior Member

I'm gong to try that. Maybe add some dried fruit bits and some scratch. Sounds pretty good to me.

9. adorson

adorson New Member

I still remember my oldest girls first snow adventure. I found them stranded on a melted patch of grass. They made it there but were afraid to go back in the snow to make it back to the barn. LOL I had to rescue them. Yes, mine love warm oatmeal for breakfast!

10. gdngrls-flock

gdngrls-flock Junior Member

This will be the first winter with my flock, looking forward to watching them learn about snow. I will try the warm oatmeal in the morning and the scratch in the evening. Do they need a heater? Really don't want to use a light. Any suggestions are welcome. I live in Northern Nevada, can get down to -8 occasionally.

11. catlady6200

catlady6200 Junior Member

I found out that mine sure like Oatmeal. Make sure that they get grit year round too. I brought up 2 small pumpkins (since I have more than enough for pies) and am going to feed one of them to the chicks tomorrow. I saw the suggestion here somewhere. Can't seem to find the thread tonight though. Think mine need it since we have never wormed them and this is supposed to help with that. Anxious to see what they do with it. I'll let you all know how it goes.

12. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

I like the idea of putting something warm in their bellies before bed. I will try the oatmeal and see if they like it. :)

13. rodrigch

rodrigch New Member

We put layer mash in the feeders for morning so we don't have to wade through snow early, later we switch out frozen water and toss some scratch in pen, and evening throw all kitchen scraps in pen or coop depending on wx. We have a shed type coop, well ventilated, no insulation, no heat, no electricity, but piles of litter to nestle in. We also line outside walls on wx side with bales of straw. The hens with the bigger combs sometimes have trouble with frostbite when the temps drop down below zero, but have never lost any girls in the winter, not even the old ones. We also put some small stumps and roosts in the pen so if the snow is deep, they can jump/fly from spot to spot until they get their toes ready to immerse in the white stuff. :) Our hens lay from February to late November depending on how cold it gets. There is a window on the south side which we cover up with burlap during the coldest months.

14. Naomi

Naomi New Member

Good morning, I also always make extra when I do pasta dishes. That way I freeze some batches up for later for the chixs. Spaghetti is one of their favorites. I also add oatmeal to it.

15. catlady6200

catlady6200 Junior Member

Do you give your girls spaghetti or just the noodles. I was going to cook up noodles for them separate from the sauce because I am not sure about the sauce.

16. Naomi

Naomi New Member

I give the girls pretty much anything we eat. They get it all mixed together:) wait til you watch then slurp the pasta, its funny. This morning they got oatmeal mixed with alittle garlic chili powder and yogurt.

17. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

My chickens did not eat the oatmeal...but my new girls did eat my cucumbers right out of the garden. Came home to no cucumber leaves or cucumbers. My first batch of chickens never touched the garden. Learning everyday!!

18. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Pickles gone. So sad. Poor Booted Bantam. :-(. Happy chickens though.

19. Patches753

Patches753 New Member

We mash up leftover veggies and bread and add some milk or another wet substance. My chickens love it! Put in white rice leftovers too! They love it!!

20. mcderry1967

mcderry1967 New Member

Hello, I live in Maine so winter can be cold & snowy too. Warm oatmeal, warm water mixed in their crumbles, along with jam works great. Also I too give scratch or a handful or so of corn before they roost. As far as heat, everyone says no. That with shelter from wind and rain, and plenty of bedding(I use deep litter method) or hay they should be fine. Also I give tepid water in winter. Remember to check their water often.Keep feeders & water off the floor. :)