New to group....lost flock to dogs this week

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Coopdevilla, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Coopdevilla

Coopdevilla New Member

I have raised chickens for several years & think of them as egg producers as well as pets. This week 2 stray dogs got into the coop at 4am & killed or injured all of my flock. I only have the rooster & one hen left. Watching the hurt ones die off was very hard. Even tho this is part of raising animals on the homestead it is very upsetting that someone else dumped their dogs out here & not only did they kill my flock but also my neighbors. If I knew somewhere local to get more this time of year I would since we have a 2 yr old who will be wondering where her chickens are. So far I have kept her so busy that she hasn't even asked to feed them.So, all of you make sure that your pens are secure at night. You never know when there is going to be some hungry dog that will not go under the fence but actually tear thru it to get to your chickens.

2. rob

rob New Member

sorry to hear about your chickens.

3. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

That is a bad deal, sorry for your loss.

4. BrahmaMom

BrahmaMom New Member

Hi, I am sorry for your loss :( Where are you located?

5. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Oh my gosh! One of my biggest nightmares. We been known to often jump out of bed in the middle of the night to check on our girls even though they are safely tucked in. I am sooo sorry you had this happen. What a horrible ordeal to have to go through. =(

Are you sure you can't get older chickens yet? At my local feed mill, you can order chickens as old as 6 months at any time of year. Latest into the year I have brought a chicken home was last mid-September. Worked out just fine. No different than if I had gotten her sooner. She was 1 1/2 months old at the time I got her.

6. musketjim

musketjim New Member

Sorry to hear about that. We own 3 dogs and our big ones could care less about our chickens. They lay there while the chickens walk on them. But our little dachsund is a different story. We have to keep him tied up and keep an eye on him when he's outside. He's gotten a couple chicks, but that's a lot different than having stray dogs get your chickens. If you are in a residential area get an archery set up and practice. That way you can safely and quietly eliminate stray dogs and get a little piece of mind. Good Luck.

7. adorson

adorson New Member

I am so very sorry about the loss of your chickens. I have found 3 strays near me in the last week. So far, nothing has gotten into my chickens. Where are you located? I am sure some of here can help you out with some chickens for your child!

8. Keith

Keith New Member

Sorry for your loss. We have lost a total of 5 to our dog, we finally had to put her in a zoned area.

9. Terri_Espinoza

Terri_Espinoza New Member

I am sorry for your loss, I know how attached you can get to chickens. And the worse part is trying to explain to a child that her pets are gone. I hope things get better for you soon.

10. ColoradoBelle

ColoradoBelle New Member

So sorry, we just lost our tom turkey to the neighbors dog. So hard when we get so attached to them!

11. Marthab53

Marthab53 New Member

Really sorry about stray dogs getting your chickens. That is horrible when people dump their unwanted dogs, and the dogs go on a killing spree. Hopefully you can find someone close who might have some spare chickens you could get. I am always giving away spare chickens to people who live close.

12. ScottV

ScottV New Member

I'm so sorry to hear you're bad news.

13. AmyR

AmyR Junior Member

Our neighbor's dog got into the yard once while the girls were out ranging. What a sight that must have been... German Shepard chasing chickens, then me diving over the fencing chasing & yelling at the dog... Oh my! Luckily the girls he chased were fast, and he didn't focus on just one.

Once the neighbor came over and collected his dog, 2 of my 3 ran to hide in the coop, the other I was worried was injured, but I found her scared, safe and sound hiding under the grill. Poor baby.

I just dread the thought of something killing them. I feel so badly for people that have had it happen. Hopefully you can find some new hens before your daughter knows they are missing.

14. charliechapman911

charliechapman911 New Member

I'm sorry to hear the bad news about your chicks I ones had 2 foxes come into my garden it was 4 am so I was asleep but then my dogs started barking like crazy so I looked out of my window and saw 2 foxes trying to get into my chicken coop. I was just watching them for a while at first because they was just running into the fence but then it was only when I saw one of the foxes jump onto a chair then onto my Shed I thought it was going to get my girls so I got my .22 caliber rifle and shot the one that was on my shed then I had a shot at the other one but I missed and he ran away. I stayed looking out of my window all night to make shure that he didn't come back so that's why number 1 you should lock your chickens away at nights 2 get a dog or two and 3 get a rifle
    Best regards
    Look after those chicks
    Charlie
    Thanks

15. Coopdevilla

Coopdevilla New Member

The dogs actually tore thru the fence that surrounds the coop & then tore into the coop. Our 2 dogs are what woke me up. Let's just say, there is one less chicken killing dog. He was still in the coop when he met my .22.

16. micbike

micbike micbike

I am new to the group and researching as I want to get about 5 chickens for my urban back yard next spring. I live in Nebraska with extremes on both ends of the thermometer. I have 2 large dogs but plan on having a tractor with a fenced run. I think the dogs will be fine once they get used to them. Any suggestions for breeds that do well in urban yards?

17. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Oh. So sorry to hear your violent tale. Terrible, terrible. You'll move forward, of course, but that story will stay in your heart forever. So very sorry for your loss.

18. micbike

micbike micbike

Sorry it looks like I jumped into the middle of a sad discussion. I went back and read the beginning of the thread. I am very sorry for your loss, also. Makes me a little scared.

19. Coopdevilla

Coopdevilla New Member

I lost the last hen & the rooster this week. That's all of my flock. this really stinks.

20. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Maybe the lesson learned will allow you to make a better situation going forward. A stronger, more secure coop. Better fencing, deeper buried fencing. Whatever improvements you decide to implement will only make your future experience that much better. Give yourself time to heal and the new flock will help with that. Chickens make smiles. We are here for you.