New Chick

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Brandee3, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brandee3

Brandee3 New Member

Hello! I'm new at having chickens. I currently have 3 hens and 2 roosters. They are all Silver Sussex. I have 3 fertilized eggs in my homemade incubator that are around 6 days in. I have a fenced in area that i let them roam around in during the day and coup them up at night. Any beginner suggestions?

2. aymelli

aymelli New Member

If you can keep them off the front porch during the day....you won't step in poop when you walk out the door.lol

3. Fl_Silkie_mommie

Fl_Silkie_mommie Junior Member

If you have a chicken house(coop) thats great. If not, use either a rabbit or ferret cage from the pet store. I had to use a rabbit cage before we built the coop outside. :)

4. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Keep it simple.

5. Brandee3

Brandee3 New Member

Thanks! I am keeping it simple. I have them in a closed pen at night and a larger pen during the day so no worries about stepping in poop on the porch! Lol

6. Brandee3

Brandee3 New Member

Can anyone tell me what this black spot looks like? I bought my chickens as adults so I don't know if they have ever been vaccinated.
    Thanks,
    Brandee

Attached Files:

7. TajMaCluckCoop

TajMaCluckCoop Not so Junior-Junior Member

It's probably just a scab. It could have been pecked by another chicken. Keep an eye on it, it should go away in day or two. You could rub a bit of Triple Antibiotic Creme on it if you want. (Neosporine, but without pain reliever. Nothing ending in caine)

8. Brandee3

Brandee3 New Member

Thank you.

9. Brandee3

Brandee3 New Member

I have one more question. My roosters combs turn purple on the back side in the late evening. During the day they are a beautiful red. I live in Mississippi and it very hot and humid here. I have a box fan that I leave on all the time in their pen. Any ideas why they turn purple and feel cool?
    Thanks,
    Brandee

Attached Files:

10. TajMaCluckCoop

TajMaCluckCoop Not so Junior-Junior Member

Sorry I can't help with that one :(

11. Brandee3

Brandee3 New Member

Thanks anyway!

12. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I'm going to guess it has to do with blood perfusion. That means that when they are hot in the sun, the capillaries are dilated (full of blood) and near the surface so very red. At night they are quieter and cooler due to fan and so more Bluish (red skin plus blue blood). And you see purple. I can think of something else that works this way too. ;-). I remember stuff like this from anesthesia class.

13. Brandee3

Brandee3 New Member

Ok so does that mean its ok to leave the fan on at night? It's helpful in keeping the Mosquitos off of them too.
    Thanks!