New baby

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by garyb, Oct 8, 2012.

1. garyb

garyb New Member

Just hatched out my first baby chick.. It's still under its mom.. Any suggestions??

2. amandahalterman

amandahalterman Junior Member

I'm new at this too but I would prob leave them alone,

3. muranofarms

muranofarms New Member

Yup, just let them be. Make sure they have a low shallow water source and chick feed. Mama knows what to do. Congratulations on the baby!

4. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Is that the only one? Is she settin on more eggs? I agree nothing extra needed, that's the best case scenario, no brooder, no heat lamp, just provide accessible water and some starter.
    Mama will do the rest.

5. garyb

garyb New Member

Thank y'all.. Just curious, but what is the first thing you do with chicks that are hatched in an incubator?

6. garyb

garyb New Member

She still has two eggs she is settin on.

7. garyb

garyb New Member

She is still settin on two more eggs..

8. garyb

garyb New Member

And she is in the same pen with all the other chickens..

9. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Just leave her be.. She will take care of them. Just Monitor them, keep them where they are safe, & nothing (animal) can get to them. I have a nesting box that sets on the ground inside the run, made out of old pallet wood, with 2x4 wire cage on top, the chicks can explore a bit in the bottom of the pallet, and still allows mama to set on eggs in an actual nest. and keep all danger out until they are all hatched and gettin around, then I open it up and they come and go with mama for a couple weeks then they are all on their own. Until a broody hen wants to set again and then do it all over again.