need some suggestions!! please...

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by cindy, Jul 16, 2012.

1. cindy

cindy New Member

I introduced 6 new chicks to my flock about 6 weeks ago my older ladies
    excepted them with no issues, but now the new girls insist on roosting on
    the chairs I have in the run at night? I have been going out every night and picking them up and putting them in the coop! any suggestions on how I can get them to go in on their own?
    Thank you!

2. cindy

cindy New Member

ok well I never had this happen before so I have decide my plan is to keep putting them
    in the coop till they get the idea.........

3. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

The older girls are probably bullying them out of the coop at night. I had that happen, but they went up a tree about 20 feet. I had to keep a ladder and every night take a broom and knock them out of the tree and put them in the coop at dusk.

They eventually did all get along, in 2 separate groups and I had to add more roosting at the opposite end of the coop for the new girls so they would all go into one coop.

At least it is just roosting on chairs, and not in a tree!! :)

4. cindy

cindy New Member

Thanks Roslyn! luckily they cant get up any trees:)

5. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Maybe remove the chairs until they get used to going in with the rest, they associate the chairs with you coming out and putting the birds up, they are training you. Eliminate the option of the chairs and they will go in on their own in a couple days.

6. TajMaCluckCoop

TajMaCluckCoop Not so Junior-Junior Member

Maybe it will just take a little time for them to catch on.......are they going in on their own yet?

~Kimberly

7. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I made a non-permanent roost for my australorp just off from the main roost. This way she has her own "space" and her own food dish too as she's been needing that lately. A year later and the same 3 still peck at her when confined to the coop & run. After she hurt her leg a couple weeks ago, which is healed, the 3 are back to pecking at her really nasty like they did when she was first slowly introduced. The other 3 are fine with her. All do fine when outside together. I'm hoping to eventually not need the 2nd temp roost so that space can be freed up for them. She does on occasion brave the crabby girls and perch on the big girl roost for the night. My temp roost is set up with 2 small saw horses. Took getting her a buddy that is 1/2 the same breed as her in the end. Then it took a month to get them both in together. Took me 6 1/2 months total to get my australorp in the main coop at night. Problem is she's so submissive that the bossy girls really bully her bad. They don't seem to appreciate her sweetness like I do. :)

Good luck Cindy with getting your young girls blended in. Its a slow process sometimes.

8. cindy

cindy New Member

Thanks guys, eggcellent sugestions I will try both:)

9. trey1432

trey1432 New Member

If you get them to coop please let me know. My three babies roost on a window sill each night. We also have to carry them to the coop.