Neck feathers being pulled

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by DropTine, Nov 30, 2012.

1. DropTine

DropTine New Member

Hi i have 5 chickens2 hens that are about a year old and 3 juveniles. My one older hen i noticed has some lost neck feathers and she isn't a submissive hen. My two biggest chickens are hens right now would the other one be pulling out the others neck feathers and why?

2. Kellence

Kellence New Member

Possibly from grooming each other as this is a favourite spot for lice to lay there eggs as the hen itself cannot reach this area the lice lay big clusters of eggs at the base of the feathers.

3. shickenchit

shickenchit New Member

Sure there's no cockerels?

4. DropTine

DropTine New Member

I don't think theres any roosters the other chickens are kinda young i can't tell yet and that does make sense about the lice.

5. shickenchit

shickenchit New Member

Do you have a spot for them to dust? Do you see the eggs or bugs? I've never (knock on wood) had an infestation of lice or mites, but I oil everything once a month when I do a complete cleaning. That's the only way to control the bugs. Take some pics..

6. DropTine

DropTine New Member

Yes i have a place for them to dust and i put lime down under neath there coop. And i will take some pics. Thank you

7. profwirick

profwirick Yaya

tell me more about "oil everything", please. mine have leg mites. I dust with DE and a miticide around where they go in to eat and in their Bathing hole.

Love, Gratitude and Peace, Mary