Mystery chicken

Discussion in 'Chick Raising Forum' started by markhorsley68, Sep 10, 2012.

1. markhorsley68

markhorsley68 New Member

Hi,
    Yesterday I bought this pullet because I wanted a hen that would lay blue eggs,I was told it was an araucana but the pics I've seen on here and other websites look nothing like this strange looking thing!..it doesn't really matter what breed it is as it lays lovely blue eggs which is what I wanted...but I am curious!
    Thanks in advance.

image-1640589622.jpg

Attached Files:

2. redmaples

redmaples Junior Member

hmmm looks almost like a black australorp although it has that little feather crest on its head, but they lay brown eggs.

3. markhorsley68

markhorsley68 New Member

I was shown an egg allegedly laid by her and it was pastel blue,she's not laid again since she came home but I guess the proof will be when she starts laying
    Thanks for the info,much appreciated.

4. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Easter Egger mix... Chickens can be various colors and they lay, green, blue, or even pinkish colored eggs, & slightly different shades of those colors. The EE is often called an Aracauna, and the True Araucana is rare.. It's actually rump less, rounded rump, no predominant tail feathers.. I have 3 EE and only 1 of the 3 is even close to an Aracauna, I'll post a pic of Mary..

Cogburn

Attached Files:

5. oakwood

oakwood New Member

She is a black Araucana , lovely blue/green eggs soon .:cool:

6. TinyHouse

TinyHouse New Member

Soooo....based on what you all have said, I'm thinking Violet is maybe an Araucana and not an Ameracauna? She has almost no tail feathers while the other two sold as Ameracaunas are developing some pretty nice ones.

What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

7. redmaples

redmaples Junior Member

yes the true arucanas are missing the last vertebrea and must be rumpless...no tail feathers. The EE's and americanas are the everday version that lay the blue or green or pink eggs.

8. redneckwildman

redneckwildman New Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^I'd bet money on that answer^^^^^^^^^^
    Looks right to me.

9. markhorsley68

markhorsley68 New Member

Thanks for all the help guys,I hope she is an Araucana..I'll post when she lays her first egg and that should solve the mystery!