My Hen won't back off!

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by JstLv2Crz, Oct 15, 2012.

1. JstLv2Crz

JstLv2Crz New Member

I have a young big Buff hen ( 23 wks, hasn't laid her first egg yet, but two of her flock have started laying. ) who is the flock leader. She almost seems to get jealous when I hold and pet any of the other 5 hens I have. They are all the same age, raised together since 1 and 2 weeks old. When I pet the others she comes in to peck them, ( they are free ranging ) so I try to shoo her away. All this does is get her mad, and she won't back off. I have pushed her away, but you can see her eyes are fixed on whatever chicken I have on my lap. She can be far away, see that I have one or two on my lap that I am petting and she comes in for the attack. She walks over, I try to shoo her away, then push her away and still she keeps coming. This time she actually pecked my finger and drew blood! Then I shoved her away hard, and she left. What is going on with her?:mad:

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

She loves you! I had two that would fight over who got to sit on my lap. Sweetpea finally out-smarted Tillie. She'd knock Tillie out of the way then go perch on my shoulder. Chickens are so funny. Best entertainment around if you ask me. :D

3. rob

rob New Member

chickens are great. the fun and entertainment you get from them is amazing :D

4. grgfishkeeper

grgfishkeeper New Member

Better than mine they won't come near me at all its very aggervating

5. JstLv2Crz

JstLv2Crz New Member

:p You know...I think you are right!. She is jealous that I am giving the other girls attention. She won't just come and jump on my lap, but when I do catch her and set her on my lap and pet her she is very happy...She makes all her little clucking noises and is just a happy hen. So yesterday I caught her and gave her extra attention. Then when the other's wanted to come sit on my lap I just moved away with them so Tinkerbell didn't become jealous :D