My First Meaties

Discussion in 'Meat Chickens' started by infoshot, Jul 25, 2012.

1. infoshot

infoshot New Member

I have raised chicks before but never Cornish/crosses until this year.
    I originally had ordered 25 from McMurray Hatchery with the addition of a male/female Speckled Sussex pair. They threw in a chick of a rare breed that I just determined to be a Silver Spangled Hamburg.

[​IMG]

Anyway, the first day I had them all was good they were eating the chick starter and drinking the electrolyte water, but maybe too much, because the next day I found several layed out upside down like turtles and many were dead. I am sure they had enough room but they may have been trying to stay warm under the lamp and got flipped over but couldn't get back up.

Long story- short: I finished with 12 meaties at 9 weeks. I had them processed for me and they were HUGE.
    [​IMG]
    When I got them home I weighed and bagged them.
    They averaged 5 pounds each. One was 6 pounds. I had them in my garden in an enclosure where they got sun and greens when I tossed them in to supplement the grow ration.
    [​IMG]

I was a little disappointed when I cooked one up the next day. The flavor was not what I expected. And reading the posts here I believe I will be using straight run or cockerel dual-purpose chicks next time.

It was interesting watching the Cornish crosses and the Sussex peeps grow up together. Such a mismatch in size considering they are the same age. Realizing that they were bred for this and would not survive normally.

Just my 2 cents. :)

2. infoshot

infoshot New Member

Bummer, the pictures didn't come thru.

3. chickmama3

chickmama3 New Member

Im raising my first meaties mine just turned 4 weeks. I had ordered 30 and upon arrival 2 were dead by the next day I was at 18 I have raised lots of chicks never had a lose like that! Still have 18 will butcher the week after thanksgiving