My cockerel keeps attacking me

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by chickensandquail, Oct 21, 2012.

1. chickensandquail

chickensandquail Junior Member

I let our birds out every morning so they can free range about the house during the day.
    The last couple of weeks our cockerel has developed a rather mean habit of attacking me when i let the out in the mornings. I have no idea what I'm doing to upset him. All the other hens and happy and follow me about when I out in the garden in hope of food. He's doing it more and more, and actually came at me 3 times this morning. It's not that it hurts I'd just rather he didn't. any suggestions?

2. amandahalterman

amandahalterman Junior Member

I'd take a broom with, or a stick, I had some Roos do that to me, and it only got worse, I had 4 since July that had to be shot, well 2 went to a farm, 2 got shot..hope it gets better

3. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Chicken and dumplins, chicken pot pie, homemade chicken soup, and don't forget to keep the chicken stock you make.

4. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

He sees you as competition for his "women." I'd try a squirt bottle and give him a good shot in the face every time he got sassy. See if that helps calm him down a bit. Shot in the dark but it works with my hens when they get to being sassy mean. They learn they are not the boss.

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Of he understands that you pose no threat to his ladies, he will not attack.

6. chickensandquail

chickensandquail Junior Member

Thank you for you're replies. I'll be sure to keep my wits about me tomorrow morning and give him a good whack is he tries anything...

7. DansChickens

DansChickens Member

Leave him in one morning and all the others out if he does not listen that carry a small twig with you to teach em a lesson haha

8. kg_cg_good

kg_cg_good Junior Member

I always stuck my foot up when one of my roosters would try to charge me...he always stopped....but he went a little to far one day and he was punted like a football..and I must say ..he never came at me again...LOL

9. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I used to do the foot thing too. Never kicked. Never needed any more than that either.

10. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

I am going through the same thing with my rooster. He is so fiesty in the mornings and comes out of the coop ready to attack. I make him wait in the coop, seeing me move around in the yard and I put the food out before I let him out. I also placed sticks strategically around the yard, so he can't catch me without the stick. Just in case I need to back him off. Even the hens don't want to be near him in the morning. lol

Do you hold him? I had to net mine (too fast to catch) then hold him. I also had to hit him with the stick and stand tall. Just enough to get his attention, not enough to hurt him. I earned some respect and he has left me alone for like a week, then he tried again, but he didn't get me, I had to kick over a small table and scare him.

I think he watches me and waits for me to be occupied, then he moves in, ninga like and pecks me. The forum is very cull the rooster, but I am trying to rehabiliatate him by spending some time with just him everyday. Although if he ends up hurting me or my family, the decision will have to be made. Good luck!!

11. Willy

Willy Junior Member

The problem with keeping an aggressive rooster is that you're passing those genes on down the line.

12. kg_cg_good

kg_cg_good Junior Member

I have Friends who had a RIR rooster...and you couldn't even get out of the car...he would chase the mower wheels and just was as nasty as I ever saw a rooster could be....you NEVER turned your back to him..if you were brave enough to be around him at all..LOL...nothing worked....well they had no choice ... as many people that would come to the house...it was a good watch cock...as we would say...who needs a dog...LOL ...but he was getting worse and worse...and they finally had to butcher him... (sheeeew...LOL..thank goodness) not saying that to be mean..but there wasn't anything that was helping.

13. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

A broom. One of those big handmade corn brooms. That way you can really "sweep" him good without hurting him.

Do NOT back down or he is YOUR boss.

14. sandra

sandra New Member

I know this may same too simple to work. When Blackie (my roo') started to get a little persnickety, I challenged him to a game of chicken. I got the idea from watching my chicks grow up and how they established their pecking order. One day Blackie nipped me just because, so I squatted down and tapped his beak and pointed my finger at him and held it there until HE backed down. We did this process a couple more times over a course of two maybe three days and he has never nipped me since. Now he follows me around like puppy, sits in my lap. I can't say this will work for you but for some reason when you give a chicken "The Finger" they stop what ever their doing and stare back at the finger.

15. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

16. sandra

sandra New Member

Yeah if all else ails, the chicken pot pie is the best option.

17. rob

rob New Member

if it was mine it would have to go im affraid. :(

18. mcderry1967

mcderry1967 New Member

The other day while lined up to enter the coop to roost for the night my favorite cockeral attacked my hand when I bent it down to shoo him in through the door quicker. I was shocked!!!!:eek: He eats from my hand and follows me around the yard.??( He is 2nd cockeral in the flock.) So I lifted my foot to give him a shove and he attacked my shoe!!!:mad: Needless to say, fuming I mentioned it to my son who quickly volunteered to make him into CHICKEN & dumplings. I said "No" but what's was Gaylord's problem????:confused:

19. Marthab53

Marthab53 New Member

I have one that is just now trying to get me, I expected him to start by the way he was watching me and coming close everytime I entered the pen lately. So this morning I grabbed him and held him tight while i did the feeding and watering in his pen. Boy did he scream for a while, I just talked to him telling him I will keep on picking him up and holding him as long as he continues to come at me thinking he is boss.

20. sandra

sandra New Member

Marthab53, yep that works real good. I hold them till they are calm and only then do I let them go. I had to do that when everybody was young too. I don't have to do that anymore. Pecking orders have been established. Also, another thing that works when a rooster is in the challenge mode, I give him the finger! Yep the finger, what that entails is you squat down face to face and stare at him and point a very stiff finger at his beak. Don't move until he backs down first. If he is still agro then grab his cute little butt and hold him. I have a white Jersey Giant and he is Avery big boy, he stands 23" tall right now and is weighing in around 8 pounds! His feet are the size of my hands and I don't have small hands.