Ducks Muscovys

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by kilagirl, Aug 17, 2012.

1. kilagirl

kilagirl New Member

What a summer. We started out with 1 drake and 5 hen Muscovy ducks this year. Then they started hatching. We have now hatched over 50 ducklings this year. We have sold some and have more for sale.
    The other thing I have done is put a fence and gate up around the front porch. You see for some reason they love to be on the front porch. And we all know what ducks do when they are on the front porch. Problem now taken care of. Haha. :D

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

You've been busy! Your little ducklings must be just adorable! Post some pics for us. We LOVE baby pics. :D

3. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I hear you about the front porch lol, I hose mine off just about everyday due to the chickens. Sadly in order to keep them off I would have to enclose the entire thing.
    As for the muscovy's, I've thought about getting some but I just cant get past their faces. I love ducks and have 9, but the red face just doesnt do it for me. My DD wants to add call ducks to our flock next spring so she can show them in the fair for 4-H.

4. jjwilson72000

jjwilson72000 New Member

We got 2 drakes and 3 hens a couple months ago. Nobody is laying yet, but they appear full size. They are much more entertaining than the chickens, the wife already wants to phase out chickens and replace them with muscovys.

5. kilagirl

kilagirl New Member

Sorry about the no pictures guys. I just don't have a way to do it at this time.

Well the ducks got in trouble yesterday. I went out to bring in my 4 big heads of cauliflower. They had taken the netting off and had eaten them all up. So dh is not to happy with them right now. I replanted this morning and fixed fence as well.

6. mellie

mellie New Member

I have 3 Muscovy ducks. Dr. Suess, Cindy Lou Who, and Duckie. Mine were a gift. From Mother Nature.. Sort of. My neighbor has some, and they found my barn for nesting. Duckie, born May 18th.. Her mom rejected her. So far, it seems they are not good momma's. Duckie was one of about 18 . None of them with mom survived. The other two, I took after they hatched later in the summer. The other 23 or 24 eggs, none of those survived more than a few weeks. The last duckling I would see out on the pond alone, screaming for his mom. The next day I would see them together, but she left him alone all the time, then I never saw him again. Mine share the chicken coop except Duckie. I caught her last night and put her in the coop, but if I don't get out there at the right time, she flies to places I can't get her. Cindy Lou and Doc are the first to go to bed. Last night, doc went to bed, and some how closed the door behind him... When I went out the chickens were a little freaked out. They were so happy to go home. I have 3 chickens.. Betty White and Lucy and Ethel. I bought them to help raise Duckie, but it seems Duckie raised them. She is very VERY motherly.

7. castillofa

castillofa New Member

Question to those of you with muscovies. I have been reading a bit about them and one of the biggest plus they give these web-footed friends is that they love all types of flying pests, from mosquitos to flies. Have you noticed any improvement in that department around your homesteads? I have also read that they roost at night. Are they capable of flight? I currently have two ducks running around with my guineas. I believe the guineas think they're ducks, but the wife thinks the ducks think they're guineas. :D

I want to get some muscovies, since I have read that they are very lean and are almost beef like in their taste and texture. What are some of your thoughts?

Note - I apologize in advance to anyone who keeps their ducks as pets. On our homestead all of the animals can be called to dinner duty at anytime; however, while not on the short dinner list, we try to give them the best possible life.

8. kilagirl

kilagirl New Member

We live on a creek that in the summer runs very low. So that causes a LOT of bugs. It is one of the reasons we started raising the Muscovy ducks. Our neighbors on the other side of the creek have 4 times the bugs we do.
    Ours do not roost in the trees. They go into the barn at night and are locked up. I have to make sure that is when I give them grain though because if I give the grain in the morning they will not come in at night.

9. jjwilson72000

jjwilson72000 New Member

We noticed a big drop in the amount of bugs, and they eat a lot less feed when there are a lot of bugs out. They are strong flyers and love to roost. Ours ended up on our roof, on the neighbors roof, across town on the village hall roof...etc. The thing with the roosting is they crap all over the place which makes for very annoyed neighbors. We caught all of ours eventually and clipped their wings, now they can't fly but they still try very hard to jump up onto my deck rails, lawn furniture, wood piles etc. Which means poop all over the place, and even though they cannot technically fly, they are about impossible to catch.
    Haven't eaten any yet (waiting for them to reproduce), but I have heard very good things about their meat which is why we got them.
    If I had to do it all over again they would not be free range, they would have a very secure, covered run.

10. qcupoultry

qcupoultry New Member

My ducks are fantastic bug catchers! They eat weeds, too. Ours free range most of the time as we have 8 acres. They pretty much stay away from the house, thank goodness. One of the mama ducks found a way into the back yard this summer, though. She claimed it as her personal oasis and brought her babies into the yard every morning. They have a duck pen where I keep their food. When I want to pen them up I fill their dishes and close the door behind them.

Attached Files:

11. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Very nice pictures!!!

12. troyer

troyer Junior Member

Couple females.

Attached Files:

13. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Troyer, what is the black chicken in the picture?
    What beautiful birds!

14. troyer

troyer Junior Member

Actually, it's a dark blue sumatra cockerel.