Maybelline

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Maryellen, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Maryellen

Maryellen Active Member

2. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

How pretty! Nice name!

3. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

That is a stunning hen!!!I really like the mottling.

4. Maryellen

Maryellen Active Member

Thank you! I love her mottling, I'm hoping to breed her next spring and see what I get. I have to rehome 7 cockerals, I'm only keeping 2 .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Chicken Forum mobile app

5. Maryellen

Maryellen Active Member

I used backdrop but I didn't like how it came out. I couldn't get her to pose like the other night

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

how big is she?

7. Maryellen

Maryellen Active Member

She is a large hen, a bit bigger then a chunky ameracauna lol. The backdrop and my cell makes her look small

8. Maryellen

Maryellen Active Member

9. Seriph

Seriph New Member

She is beautiful!!

seminolewind likes this.
  10. Maryellen

Maryellen Active Member

11. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Member

Maryellen -- Maybelline is GORGEOUS! I love the even distribution of black and white on her tail feathers! She is my perfect ideal for a Mottled Breda. Is Maybelline from Dutch stock hatching or from RFR hatching eggs?

My Cuckoo Breda is molting right now, poor thing.

I lost my battle to keep my two Blue Breda alive. I lost the last one at 6-months. I will get more in future but I scrambled immediately to find some layer birds to have by the New Year so I special ordered 3 Dominique chicks from my local feed store. I chose Dominique because they are very similar to Breda in temperament, smaller size, and outgoing friendly curious personalities.
    DSCN8253.JPG DSCN8257.JPG

12. Maryellen

Maryellen Active Member

Oh Sylvester I'm soo sorry.
    Maybelline is from Dutch Connection Farm

13. Maryellen

Maryellen Active Member

14. Maryellen

Maryellen Active Member

15. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Member

Maryellen, your Mottleds are GORGEOUS, beautiful even mottling, I'm so jealous ;)!

Yep, lost the two Blue Breda pullets what we surmise was leukosis. No matter what my vet could've done, the Blue's would've eventually died or had to be put down -- losing weight in spite of eating, respiratory problems that would not respond to treatment, and bloody cocci as younger juveniles, all evidences of a compromised immune system due to the leukosis. Breda owners/breeders have been wondering about the high mortality issue with Breda and chickendanz and I feel the leukosis virus passed on from mating can be the culprit.

At first I thought Marek's, but my Blue's didn't display the split-leg paralysis or nerve damage - leukosis attacks the internal organs and not the nervous system, liver I think it attacks, and there's no cure. Necropsy can mis-diagnose leukosis as Marek's because of the similar looking cancerous lesions. Some birds can survive Marek's but so far there's no hope for leukosis and euthanasia is recommended. Leukosis is passed on thru mating, fleas, lice, mites, parasites, and need a living host to continue being passed on. Marek's virus can survive in soil outside a host but leukosis needs a living host to survive. Something breeders of Breda need to know is to use only their healthy breeders that produce non-mortality chicks to stop the perpetuation of leukosis from generation to generation. I'm hoping this information is useful to help frustrated breeders of Breda who have been experiencing high mortality. Leukosis could be the culprit and eliminating mating breeders of high-mortality offspring should be culled, not to mention the obvious cleanliness of eliminating parasites.

This article explains avian leukosis much better than I can:
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/avian-leukosis/index.aspx

16. Maryellen

Maryellen Active Member

Wow that I never knew. I'm so so sorry you lost your two:(

So far it seems my dutch chicks are healthier. I have one rfr chick on my porch right now, he/she was in the nest box this morning and when I got home it moved to a different nest box. I picked it up and it's thin, let me carry it and didn't fuss. So on the porch in the cage I put it with food and water and I put poly visol no iron in its water and it drank and ate. I just checked on it and covered the cage since it's going to be chilly tonight . My porch is enclosed but since it's by itself I want it to stay warm. I hope I caught it in time, check for lice and mites and none were found. I'll see what tomorrow morning brings. I noticed the rfr chicks are super whiny, always peeping about everything, while the Dutch chicks seem hardier

17. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Member

Hi Maryellen,

My last Blue pullet got easier to pickup and carry around toward her end days. She ate and drank but got to the point I could feel a bony keelbone under her in spite of her eating her feed. She was about 6 months old and only weighed 1 lb 12 oz. She just wasn't gaining and wasted away. I never ever felt she was ready for integration into the main flock so I kept her isolated the entire 6 months and glad I did.

Leukosis is dreadful and infected birds really need to be euthanized. I wasn't aware that there was no cure for leukosis and wasted over $200 in vet bills to try to improve her worsening respiratory condition. I should've just spent the money to euthanize her instead.

Did you read the avian leukosis article? I think it will be very helpful for Breda breeders who may not be aware of how leukosis compromises immune systems and transfers thru mating. Some birds might survive past their juvenile months into adulthood but will still die young. Could be the culprit of why owners lose some of their Breda at 2 yrs or younger, dropping over dead suddenly. Using these birds as breeding stock should be eliminated if they are producing high mortality offspring. Gosh, wouldn't it be wonderful if leukosis is the bane causing high mortality in Breda and to know now that it can be virtually eliminated through using only healthy breeders? I know most breeders like to use young mating birds but in this instance of eradicating infected birds it might be worth waiting to mate over 2 yr old birds to make certain the older birds show healthy signs before breeding them. What do you think?

18. Maryellen

Maryellen Active Member

Hmmm. My Breda on the porch is thin, no sour crop or impact crop, it will eat scrambled eggs and can cat food but won't eat chicken food, it's skinny, but no rasping or sneezing. I now have another breda (cockeral ) from rfr on my porch now, rasping and having a hard time breathing. I'm wondering if it'd this leukosis

19. Maryellen

Maryellen Active Member

Ok just read the article. Ugh. Don't know if this is affecting the 2 I have on the porch that I hatched from rfr, all I know is they all here are not as hardy as the ones from dcf

20. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

Have you wormed them?That will cause weight loss and other ailments.

seminolewind likes this.