Males Or Females?

Discussion in 'What Breed/Gender is This?' started by ScottV, Sep 28, 2012.

1. ScottV

ScottV New Member

My chicks are 7 weeks old. They are RIRs and Barred Rocks. Can you tell at this age whether they are boys or girls? Three of my six RIRs are larger birds with bigger combs and waddles. One of the Barred Rocks has the bigger comb.

image-2842289653.jpg

image-2840743441.jpg

image-1697740383.jpg

image-1866982958.jpg

2. amandahalterman

amandahalterman Junior Member

I have a very hard time sexing chickens until they row or lay a egg, lol we had 14 and 4 that I thought we're hens turned out to be roosters, im new to this, we just got our chickens in jan of this year, but I do think ur barred rock s a hen, only cuz she looks like mine, and mine is a hen,

3. twentynine

twentynine New Member

photo 1 hen

photo 2 hen

photo 3 hen--- but ????????

4. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I think they're all hens.

5. rob

rob New Member

all look like hens to me...........but then im only a novice. :eek:

6. oakwood

oakwood New Member

I agree all hens :)

7. ScottV

ScottV New Member

They're supposed to all be hens. I'm also a novice at raising chickens and was just wondering, seeing the differences in their combs. Thanks

Scott

8. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

This is an old photo of three peeps I had several years ago. They are in the 8-9 week old range and the back two are boys and the front is a girl. The white is a Delaware, the back boy is a barred rock/astralorp and the front female is a barred rock or a barred rock/delaware cross. Her comb is smaller and paler in color than her hatch brothers. She also has the long tail feathers with a gentle slope of a hen.

Attached Files:

9. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

This photo is the same three peeps with mama. They are right about 4 weeks, and you can see the difference in combs in the two males and the one female.

Attached Files:

10. ScottV

ScottV New Member

Thanks Roslyn, that helps. I think I'm gonna be sure when they either crow or lay an egg.

11. rob

rob New Member

thats a great pic, all cuddled up with mum :)