Light

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by dpappas319, Jul 25, 2012.

1. dpappas319

dpappas319 New Member

Ow long should I leave the light on in my coop and should I light up the outdoor run as well.

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

No you do not need a light in the coop or run.

3. dpappas319

dpappas319 New Member

Ok. I was told to leave a light on all night long.

4. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Nope, the ONLY time you need a light is when you are brooding chicks, but its not the light they need its the heat. Also in the winter IF your girls egg laying lessen sometimes by adding light to their coop to give them 14 hours fo light will help to up production. But under normal circumstances chickens do not need nor want extra light at all times.

5. TajMaCluckCoop

TajMaCluckCoop Not so Junior-Junior Member

Chickens do need night/dark so they can sleep. Having light to lengthen daylight hours will help winter laying, but they should have a period of darkness to sleep.

6. dpappas319

dpappas319 New Member

Thank you. That's what I figured.

7. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Think Mother Nature ... ;)

8. laxbro

laxbro Senior Member

I never use a light

9. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

I'm trying to figure all this out too??? I added light 4:00am and it goes off at 7:00am (because then its light out) so I'm adding 3 hours of daylight to their day. Here in N.Y. we lost 2 hours at night and almost 2 in the morning. I'm just trying to keep it like summer time?? Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong?? I'm still getting 12-14 eggs a day. (Got 14 chicks) I'll let you all know! Jen:rolleyes: