light sussex losing feathers

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by rob, Nov 25, 2012.

1. rob

rob New Member

i have a light sussex who has recently gone broody. when i went to get her out from the nest box today i noticed that she was bald underneath. her feathers have gone, is this anything to do with her being broody or something more worrying ?

2. BigECart

BigECart New Member

I have read that bald eagles will sometimes have a bald spot on their undersides while nesting. Helps keep the eggs warm while they are sitting on them. Maybe winter broodies do the same.

3. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Yes, I've read the same thing too. I forgot what type of bird but it said they pluck the tummy feathers to help with the heat for the eggs.

4. rob

rob New Member

cool cheers guys, maybe thats whats happening as she seems healthy.

5. Shaz

Shaz sharon

Its natural if you put your hand under any broody hen they are the same, it is like that so they can keep their eggs at the right temperature when the hen is standing off the nest she fluff up the feathers so you do not see her bare belly .

6. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I'd say she picked her feathers to warm the nest. Did you notice feathers in the nest when you moved her?

7. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

This is so the heat from her belly is in direct contact with the eggs. All of the broodies I have ever had did this.