laying times

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by bchil, Sep 15, 2012.

1. bchil

bchil New Member

my girls have been free range in my yard all day as they were maturing. a couple weeks ago we started keeping them in the coop until around noon since most of the info i've found says they mostly lay in later morning and i don't really want to search the yard everyday looking for eggs. so far it's worked and i got 2 eggs on wed and one more today. whenever we go outside while they are in the coop they get excited and want to be let out. does anyone know if i were to check for eggs earlier than i let them out, would that disturbance stop them from laying that day?

2. cogburn

cogburn New Member

No, they are gonna lay when they are ready to lay. I have 2 hens that lay earlier,(9-10o'clock ) and 3 usually lay at about 1 o'clock, and other 5 are mixed in there in early afternoon. When the egg develops and is ready they will put it out, it's generally a 24 hour process, they won't be effected by you checking for eggs... (unless they are overly stressed) from weather, predators, or something out of the ordinary may stress them for a bit and interrupt a day or 2, but they will pretty much make their own schedules. Just remember to feed a good layer pellet/crumbles (pellets are less waste), and make oyster shell available for them to use as they need it, it aids in building strong shells, also I use manna pro egg maker, mixed with the pellets, every 3 days as a supplement.. They will be fine and make the prettiest best tasting eggs for you to enjoy like clockwork. Proper nutrition, and low stress and you're good to go. Also as they get older, they will go back to the coop/nest boxes to lay when they need to, mine are free range and go back to the coop/boxes to lay, then they leave again to go free range.. They make their own schedule/pattern around here. Good luck and take some pics !

3. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Our chicken also make their own schedule ...

4. bchil

bchil New Member

great, thank you

5. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

Mine lay anytime! I've got a few that lay in the late evening. Most of my girls lay in the afternoon.