Laying hens

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Kokoschicks, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

On average hens need 14 hrs of sunlight per day to produce an egg. Since its almost fall and I get about 12 hrs of sunlight a day. What kind of light will be the best to put it my coop to make it attest 14 hrs so I can get some eggs???

2. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Sorry, I'm going to be no help.

I let Mother Nature rule, IMO she knows best. For me it is a time for the hens to recharge ... in a matter of speaking. I get eggs year round just not as many as spring and summer ...

It is just like milking a goat/cow each and every day ... I let nature take them down to recharge for the next birth. (not milking them the whole year)

Again this is IMO ...

3. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I could not agree more with Sundancers. It's like that catholic woman with 14 children all a year apart and she has no teeth or hair anymore. Bodies are just not meant to be in production 100% of the time. There is a season....

4. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Agree !! And thanks for the stunning visual there EV !! I just threw up in my mouth a little bit... Yummy !

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Bet it was BBQ too, huh.

6. cogburn

cogburn New Member

No mam... I can't afford BBQ, only when others pay for it !

7. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

Haha alright ! Thanks

8. crazybirdchick

crazybirdchick New Member

I don't use artificial lighting either. I am in Minnesota and feel the hens need to reserve their energy for our harsh winters. We do miss the eggs though!

9. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

Do your hens still lay eggs in the winter?