Keeping your chickens cooler in the summer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering' started by CartersLegacy, Jul 16, 2012.

1. CartersLegacy

CartersLegacy New Member

I have been reading blogs and found that a lot of people are using Apple Cider Vinegar in their chickens water to keep them cooler. Have any of you tried it and what are your thoughts? Does it work? ~Emily

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

I've heard of people using it but not to keep the chickens cool, I have heard ACV keeps the slime and bacteria from growing in the waterer. Personally I free range and have 2 kiddie pools I put fresh water in every morning. I also have lots of shade. Thats all I do and have had no issues.

3. CartersLegacy

CartersLegacy New Member

That's what we do also. Our chickens that are in breeding pens drink out of nipples, so we simply add a pan of water for them to be able to stand in and dip their beak in during the hot months. The free range chickens get fresh kiddie pool and wash tubs of fresh water daily.

4. jhfamily5

jhfamily5 New Member

I freeze water bottles and gallon jugs then set them out in the heat of the day. They lay beside them to cool off. And I only give frozen treats on hot days. Digestion raises body temps but frozen treats help to offset that and they love it. Frozen corn and peas are super cheap and easy. Watermelon rinds frozen are by far the fave though! :)

5. casey

casey New Member

Frozen juice bottle filled with water in their waterers. I dumped a cooler of ice in a pen the other day. They stood on top of the ice!

6. adorson

adorson New Member

I have read to do the opposite and not put ACV in their water when it is hot. Although there are many benefits for chickens like vitamins, minerals, enzymes for digestion, it also acts as a diuretic and can actually make them dehydrate more easily during times of heat. I stopped adding the ACV since it got so hot but do use it weekly during cooler temps.
    I forgot to add I use the fans, frozen jugs, cold treats and mash, spraying the runs & coops down and spraying the chickens. (They are not happy campers when I do that to them) LOL But I have not lost any to this heat yet, thank goodness!